Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Augsburg Game ,I have on DVD, want to see it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

jhicks85 wrote:
My favorite football memory was the last game of the '82 (also my last game for the Mustangs) against Augsburg; we were behind by three scores with less than two minutes left in the game. We were down to our third string QB (can picture him, but can't remember his name). We came back and scored twice and recovered two onside kicks and scored again to win the game.

JMH

I still remember that game and remember the clock read "1:08." I tell my players about that game and to never quit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:33 pm 
Blue Mud

Here's one that the vast majority here won't remember because it happened in '77 to my brother Greg, but it's funny and Goodwin may have repeated it afterward. I don't remember him telling it while I was on the team, though that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

My brother played LOLB and was going for an interception on a flat route early in the season and landed wrong and dislocated his left shoulder (not the funny part :) ). Around two games later, he was back in with his left upper arm strapped to his chest so that he could move his arm from the elbow down and could reach out that far to his left. Goodwin put him in at LDE (don't know why, I guess that's one of those things that Moose and Penrod meant when talking about his coaching ability). Once the other team figured out that he couldn't reach out with his left arm they started running plays to their right outside the DE. Naturally, he couldn't grab anyone with his left arm, though he tried valiantly waving his hand back and forth trying to tackle someone. I was 10 at the time and thought it was hilarious. He finally was able to get to the QB on a pass rush and picked him up and slammed down on the sack and got a 15-yard penalty for roughing the passer.

So, Moose, Billy, Penrod, do any of you remember Goodwin telling that story?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:41 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

jhicks85 wrote:
Here's one that the vast majority here won't remember because it happened in '77 to my brother Greg, but it's funny and Goodwin may have repeated it afterward. I don't remember him telling it while I was on the team, though that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

My brother played LOLB and was going for an interception on a flat route early in the season and landed wrong and dislocated his left shoulder (not the funny part :) ). Around two games later, he was back in with his left upper arm strapped to his chest so that he could move his arm from the elbow down and could reach out that far to his left. Goodwin put him in at LDE (don't know why, I guess that's one of those things that Moose and Penrod meant when talking about his coaching ability). Once the other team figured out that he couldn't reach out with his left arm they started running plays to their right outside the DE. Naturally, he couldn't grab anyone with his left arm, though he tried valiantly waving his hand back and forth trying to tackle someone. I was 10 at the time and thought it was hilarious. He finally was able to get to the QB on a pass rush and picked him up and slammed down on the sack and got a 15-yard penalty for roughing the passer.

So, Moose, Billy, Penrod, do any of you remember Goodwin telling that story?

Goodwin admitting a mistake? Right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:52 am 
Blue Mud

Quote:

I was thinking more on the lines of a "don't ever give up" kind of story. As for it being a mistake, yeah putting him on the left side of the line with a bum arm was, but my "little" older brother was one of the best athletes on the team, and was playing Varsity ball in Indiana (OK, it's not Texas, but at least they had weight training, etc.) his junior year before we moved to Munich, so Goodwin had to play him somewhere.

Anyway, I was just curious because I know Goodwin told the track story about my brother at least once, 'cause I was there. That may be why he did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

jhicks85 wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking more on the lines of a "don't ever give up" kind of story. As for it being a mistake, yeah putting him on the left side of the line with a bum arm was, but my "little" older brother was one of the best athletes on the team, and was playing Varsity ball in Indiana (OK, it's not Texas, but at least they had weight training, etc.) his junior year before we moved to Munich, so Goodwin had to play him somewhere.

Anyway, I was just curious because I know Goodwin told the track story about my brother at least once, 'cause I was there. That may be why he did it.

Nope, never heard him tell it. He and I didn't talk much.

Post subject: Re: Tracy Williams
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:41 am 
F-Winger

John82 wrote:
I saw Tracy Williams out in Yuma AZ in a grocery store about 10 years ago. He was in the Marine Corps or recently out and was living out there with his wife and kids. I walked by him and recognized him immediately.

Tracy is indeed living in Yuma. Worked with him for a few years. Didn't realize we went to the same school until I knew him for nearly two of those years. We were just chatting in the 120 degree weather in Yuma Arizona and somehow he mentioned MAHS. He got there after we left. Knew Daddy Wags and a few others. I'll send him a link to this site.

Post subject: Tracy's email
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:38 pm 
F-Winger

Kristin wrote:
Where's Tracy Wilson?? If you know, please email me his address. He was a nice guy. Thanks

He has logged in as BIGBOSSMAN3303 or something like that.

Post subject: FOOTBALL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:11 am 
Perlurker

HELLO EVERYBODY, THIS IS TRACY. I REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS AS WELL, I WILL NEVER FORGET THE AUGSBURG GAME OF 1983.[/b]

Post subject: FOOTBALL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:12 am 
Perlurker

TAKE CARE OF IVAN B, HE IS MY BOSS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:24 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Moose85 wrote:
jhicks85 wrote:
My favorite football memory was the last game of the '82 (also my last game for the Mustangs) against Augsburg; we were behind by three scores with less than two minutes left in the game. We were down to our third string QB (can picture him, but can't remember his name). We came back and scored twice and recovered two onside kicks and scored again to win the game.

JMH

I still remember that game and remember the clock read "1:08." I tell my players about that game and to never quit!

I think the third string QB was Heyward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 am 
Blue Mud

Moose85 wrote:
I think the third string QB was Heyward.

Yep, that's him, Moose. I could remember his face just not his name, and didn't think to check the yearbook. Thanx!!!