All times are UTC - 5 hours

Where would you rather eat?
Burger King 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
McDonalds 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Hamburgers in Munich?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:21 am 
Blue Mud

So Odense, Danmark just gave birth to a Burger King after the old one burnt down 10 years ago. We have 4 McDonalds spread around the city.
So 12 days old is our Burger King ,which even has inspired a Facebook group. So this is huge!
The whole week we have been trying to sink our teeth into a Whopper, but alas the excitement is so great that the drive through line causes traffic jams, and that is the only way into the parking lot, so you can´t get in anyway if you decided to get out of the car and stand in the line which reaches outside past the kids play stuff.
So yesterday, we once again had to pass by the place with anguish in our hearts. Nothing at home tasted interesting last night.We may have to have dinner for breakfast one day to avoid the crowds.
So here is the question:
What did we do in Munich? I remember fries at the PX. I remember hanging out at the Snack Shack by the movies, but what did they serve? Did we exist with or without a Macs or a King? I really don´t remember.

Anyone remember the popcorn with extra butter at the movies??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 am 
Thinking About Getting a Life

munich had mcdonalds early on. then wendy's. then basken robbins. the only burger king i remember was the one on post, but i didn't go looking for american fast food much. i usually preferred a snitzel. or a snitzel sandwich. yum!
i do remember that in my day, munich only had one mexican food place. it was mediocre and cost a fortune.
carolyn, when you go out with the gals for a bite, what's your food of choice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:00 pm 
Blue Mud

Jojo,
I guess my cravings for fast food has to do with not having it all over the place. It is a sentimental thing, because I do not even remember it in my Munich days, at all. Kind of like my cravings for peanut butter. Never had those when I could get it easily.
It ain´t Burgers with the gals, that´s for sure. I love spicy food. Mexican is wonderful. In the States, it is always a must, to go to Red Lobster.
Now if we meet in London, I would maybe like to find an Indian Restaurant. But I like all kinds of food so I am easy to please.
What about you?
What about Julie? Julie are you out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:18 pm 

carolyn,
you have hit upon a brilliant idea. let's decide where we're going to eat when we meet up. if in london, then definitely indian. i miss quality indian food soooo much. kate and i had a feast of the best from one end of india to the other, and now i've grown very particular. london has a large indian/pakistani population, so that should make for some good eats.
i'm always game for thai food too. yummy!
and mexican is good, but i haven't had good mexican in europe yet. i'm spoiled from my time in california. still, if you know of someplace worthy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:14 pm 
Blue Mud

Jojo,
My brother went to College in London and he was always telling me about the Indian food there. I think it is pretty authentic. The best Indian food I ever tasted was in Georgetown in D.C.. We have 2 pretty good Indian take aways right here in Odense,owned by 2 Indian brothers.
We have a wonderful tiny tiny Mexican restaurant "Tortilla Flats" owned by an American named Bob, (just for your info)and you have to reserve many days ahead. I think it is the best I have ever had, even compared to the States, but I haven´t been to Texas,or Ca. where I would imagine one could get some really really good hot stuff.
To think when I moved here we couldn´t find Lasagne pasta, or pizza. There was a place called Happy Burger and people ate them with knives and forks,"culture shock".
If we meet up in Munich, I could go for a snitzel like you mentioned before, and a big beer.I have to admit to liking bratwurst mit sauerkraut, alot too :oops:
Thai food is really good too, so is Vietnamese.
We have a whole year to decide and sounds like we may need that long with all the choices :lol:

Are you going to the Dallas reunion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:09 pm 
WienerWalder

Back to the original question, in 1986 or so, there were something like 18 McDonald's in the Munich area. I know this because Ralph and I visited all of them as sort of a quest after we started driving. I think I still have a french fry wrapper from each one labeled with the address from whence it came stored in a box somewhere.

Wasn't there a Burger King close to the McDonald's that was just off the Marienplatz? It seems like the Wendy's and the Baskin Robbins were close to the Deutches Museum.

The Burger King by the PX was built sometime around 1986, right? Before that, there was the cafeteria in the PX, just inside the door on the left. For a while, they turned it into a pizza parlor after the PX closed for the evening. Patty can tell you more about that because she worked there for a bit.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:51 am 
Blue Mud

McDonald crawling, how did I miss all that?? 18 McDonalds and I don´t remember one of em?? Ofcourse there weren´t that many in 1979!?
I am impressed that your answer is so reliable with evidence and everything!
You have a valuable collection for the next MAHS exhibition, to be sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:13 am 
WienerWalder

Burger King was built in 1986 because we went there as seniors and came to school late with our Burger King crowns on, Mr Lovretta was not too happy when we came in school that morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:16 am 
Wind Up Merchant

ChrisReinman84 wrote:
Back to the original question, in 1986 or so, there were something like 18 McDonald's in the Munich area. I know this because Ralph and I visited all of them as sort of a quest after we started driving. I think I still have a french fry wrapper from each one labeled with the address from whence it came stored in a box somewhere.

Wasn't there a Burger King close to the McDonald's that was just off the Marienplatz? It seems like the Wendy's and the Baskin Robbins were close to the Deutches Museum.

The Burger King by the PX was built sometime around 1986, right? Before that, there was the cafeteria in the PX, just inside the door on the left. For a while, they turned it into a pizza parlor after the PX closed for the evening. Patty can tell you more about that because she worked there for a bit.

Chris

There was a Wendy's and Baskin-Robbins near the Museum, there was also a Wendy's near the Hauptbahnhof, right next to the Europa theater. There was another Baskin-Robbins right near the Hofbrauhaus. There were McD's everywhere it seemed. I remember the one Chris mentioned, the one near the Marienplatz, had a sign in it that said that location was their 1000th restaurant.

Most of my Munich hamburger munching was done at the PX though...those wonderful foil-wrapped burgers under the heat lamps. Like Jojo, most of general munching was done from German food vendors...I'm a sucker for wurst and a nice warm, soft semmel....mmmmmmmm...mit senf bitte...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:54 am 

man, chris, you are organized! i'm impressed. if you find that box of wrappers with addresses you should put it under glass.
carolyn, how big was odense when you first got there?
mb, yes, yes, yes! warmes kase semmel mit senf... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dallmayer weisskraut salat. Beck's apfelstrudel mit vanillesauce. Rischardt's milchcafe mit hazelnuss kuchen. i could go on and on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am 
Blue Mud

jojo wrote:
mb, yes, yes, yes! warmes kase semmel mit senf... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dallmayer weisskraut salat. Beck's apfelstrudel mit vanillesauce. Rischardt's milchcafe mit hazelnuss kuchen. i could go on and on.

I like it when you guys talk dirty! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:00 pm 
Blue Mud

I remember going to the Mickey D's near Harlaching, I think.

I really miss the pommes frites. I keep trying to get my wife to fry ours in olive oil but she won't do it. She still freaks out when I can smell whenever she is heating up the olive oil.

One of the fun things about growing up in Germany is telling people that you can order beer at Mickey D's and seeing their reaction. Even funnier is seeing their reaction when you tell them that the beer is cheaper than soda.

I also miss the German food. You would think in a town called Kaufman, there would be a good German restaurant. Oh well, maybe that's what I'll do when I retire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:02 pm 
Blue Mud

jojo wrote:
carolyn, how big was odense when you first got there?

About 187,000 people today. Still the third largest City. I got here in 1985 and I think it was about the same, minus 2 McDonalds.

http://www.visitodense.com/internationa ... orside.htm

Watch the little movie. I almost wanted to go on vacation here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:02 pm 
WienerWalder

Its been a litle while since I have been on so apologise Carolyn and Jojo!!

If you want Indian then England, ironically, is the place to go. They are all over the place. Not my favorite but can face one if we go for England as the "girlie holiday". Mexican is my favorite and it is difficult to find a decent restaurant over here but I have been lucky enough to find one in Norwich which is about a 30 minute drive (and good shopping). It does what I call proper Mexican and not Texmex.

In London, in the Selfridges foodhall, they do a selection of fresh wurst which is fantastic! They do them in Harrods food hall as well but just a bit more expensive "because they can". Needless to say, a trip to London always consists of a trip to Selfridges, wurst, sauercraut and spaetzle (spelling??). About 30 minutes the other way from me just outside of Kings Lynn (in case anyone is looking at a map - thats assuming anyones interested :roll: there is a warehouse called Beers of Europe where I can get all of the old favorites from Germany. Yes you guessed it, sadly I drift away to another place!

So girls, have we decided a location??

Back to the original question, Burger King was 1986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:37 pm 
Blue Mud

Julie,
I´m sold! London sounds great to me. I have been there only once in 84 or 85. We are narrowing it down. Jojo, your turn.