Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: French teacher
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:22 pm 
Blue Mud

I remember my french teacher but not her name. It was 1978 or 1979. She was strict and had no humør, but I actaully learned some french. She was kind of tall and stringy.
I was kind of a goody -two -shoes, so in 9th grade, I got in big trouble and she really got mad. Big trauma for me, because I wasn´t used to that. Probably why I remember her so well.
Any idea of what her name is/was?

Post subject: Re: French teacher
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

Carolyn Frusciante82 wrote:
I remember my french teacher but not her name. It was 1978 or 1979. She was strict and had no humør, but I actaully learned some french. She was kind of tall and stringy.
I was kind of a goody -two -shoes, so in 9th grade, I got in big trouble and she really got mad. Big trauma for me, because I wasn´t used to that. Probably why I remember her so well.
Any idea of what her name is/was?

Tall, strict, and not afraid to show her disappointment in you...I'm going with Ms. Bruzas. I had her for Spanish...disappointed her a number of times...actually yelled at her once...the only teacher that ever happened with...felt kind of bad about it since I did it in front of the class and I would hate some snot nosed kid to do that to me.

Quote:
humør,

Interesting how the Danish word for humor is so close to the English word...i recognized it immediately...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:23 pm 
Blue Mud

Yes that is her! No humør!
I feel better now since she yelled at you too. I wish I yelled back, but I think I went into shock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm 
Mustang!

I had her for 2 yrs of Spanish. It was '83 and '84, she must've softened a little bit by the time I had her. She was a big health nut, though. I remember her making her own plain yogurt. I actually think of her when I am eating yogurt. I also remember sitting in her class when some girl (not sure who it was) came in to give Ms Bruzas a note from the office and some guy prompted someone else to ask the girl how far her dad could throw a football? When she replied her dad had no arms, I was so horrified and then people went on to laugh. Later finding out it was a running joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:44 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

She was doing the best she could...I've certainly come to forgive my teachers their trespasses in the intervening 25 years. For the most part Ms. Bruzas was a fine teacher...but i imagine dealing with us day in and day out sort of backed up on a person...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:51 pm 
Blue Mud

Debbie (Pierce) Kissel wrote:
I actually think of her when I am eating yogurt.

What an odd association... :wink:

Well, maybe not that odd. I sometimes think of Rob Foore when I drink a Yoo-Hoo.

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:01 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
I sometimes think of Rob Foore when I drink a Yoo-Hoo.

Best. TShirt. Ever.

They'll be ready for ordering tomorrow afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
ralphdsmith84 wrote:
I sometimes think of Rob Foore when I drink a Yoo-Hoo.

Best. TShirt. Ever.

They'll be ready for ordering tomorrow afternoon.

Heh. Perhaps I should have provided the back story.

As it happened, I believe the first Yoo-Hoo I ever purchased was from a vending machine outside the bowling alley on McGraw Kaserne. Rob was there, and after I got my Yoo-Hoo, proceeded to make his selection. The machine wasn't so cooperative with him, and he subsequently punched it and shouted "You b*tch!" Well, wouldn't you know it? From over our respective right shoulders we heard "Hey, don't swear!" It was Rob's mother, who just happened by. What are the odds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:31 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

it is funny how the mind works...when i drink pear juice, I think of a backpacking trip Tony and I took in the spring of 81 to Italy. When I eat a twinkie (which, i grant you, is rare) I think of Karla Swenson because of a particularly funny conversation we had 28 years ago! Drinking wine from a bottle always reminds me of Gavin. Sometimes I have this dream of hot dogs chasing doughnuts...reminds me of Rob Foore as well for some reason...think I should be concerned about that? Probably doesn't mean anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:40 pm 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
Sometimes I have this dream of hot dogs chasing doughnuts...reminds me of Rob Foore as well for some reason...think I should be concerned about that? Probably doesn't mean anything...

Yeah, it's probably nothing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:57 pm 
Blue Mud

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:45 am 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
She was doing the best she could...I've certainly come to forgive my teachers their trespasses in the intervening 25 years. For the most part Ms. Bruzas was a fine teacher...but i imagine dealing with us day in and day out sort of backed up on a person...

So MB,
You teach?
I´ll be out there demonstrating for teachers too!

Ms. Bruzas taught me so well that my french was ahead of the danes when I got here. I am thank-ful for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 am 
Wind Up Merchant

So MB,
You teach?

I did for a while, but at a business school...sort of a training school, grade 13 kind of thing for kids who didn't want to go to college and wanted to go into computers or business. I taught Business English, Computer Hardware, Customer Service, and Computer Operating Systems.

I only did it for a few years, and our students were primarily adults with jobs so the kids weren't nearly as obnoxious as I always imagine myself being in high school. I'd do it again. However, I do enjoy my current job a bit too much to go out looking for something that puts me in front of a group every evening. Standing in front of a room full of people is WAAAAY outside my comfort zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:40 am 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
So MB,
You teach?

I did for a while, but at a business school...sort of a training school, grade 13 kind of thing for kids who didn't want to go to college and wanted to go into computers or business. I taught Business English, Computer Hardware, Customer Service, and Computer Operating Systems.

I only did it for a few years, and our students were primarily adults with jobs so the kids weren't nearly as obnoxious as I always imagine myself being in high school. I'd do it again. However, I do enjoy my current job a bit too much to go out looking for something that puts me in front of a group every evening. Standing in front of a room full of people is WAAAAY outside my comfort zone.

You know, I'm not sure what is you do exactly, besides attend meetings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:16 am 
Wind Up Merchant

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
You know, I'm not sure what is you do exactly, besides attend meetings.

You know, i'm sometimes amazed at how many people say that!

Sadly, probably no one knows because it isn't very exciting. I'm an editor and writer for Thomson Scientific...though our division has been passed around through several companies. We're profitable and no one knows exactly what we do so they leave us alone for the most part!

Primary part of my job is covering FDA advisory committee meetings...so when you hear on the news that a committee is recommending to the FDA to approved this drug or remove that drug...that's the meeting I cover. We have several other related products, and we cover 55 countries, though the US makes up the majority because so much of the information is open. I'm only on the US section.

So, for the most part, we're a newsgathering company (we just bought Reuters actually...the new Thomson-Reuters hits the market on Thursday as a matter of fact) focusing mainly on regulatory affairs though most of the info our division creates goes into a subscription database.

While I'm much more of a liberal arts kind of writing guy, I enjoy science, and this job allows me to work entirely at home (my division has no "office" in the states...our main office is in Paris) with the exception of a couple of meetings a month...a busy month might have me going down the road 5 times...so I really can't complain. My kids are young...7 and 3...so it's great to be able to zip over to school or eat lunch with the 3 year old...walk him down to the park for a half an hour in the middle of the day...it's really the best part of the job and the real reason I'd never leave willingly. We've been really busy lately...turnover and training and a rash of meetings, but it's usually steady.

I'm wagering that was more info than you really wanted...