Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AYA/DYA Locale?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:28 pm 
Poobah

Hello Everyone,

I received an email from current Perlacher resident and active board member, Martin in Munich, wondering if anyone remembers where or has an address for the old AYA building...surely somebody has a recollection?? He's active with his camera and I'm sure he'll swing by the old place and snap a few pics...

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:30 pm 
Perlurker

The AYA was on Harthauser Str. Heading away from town. I think the intersection was Proessl Str. on the left and Heubachweg on the right or Isar side of Harthauser Str. Coming in this direction, you would pass the e Consulate housing area, which I think was bordered by Harthauserstr. and Gabriel Max Str., and would have been on the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:49 pm 
Poobah

Cito,

Thanks for the updated information. I know the original boys dorm for MAHS from the 40's was on Gabriel Max Strasse...and in that some document was a note that the AYA in the 50s and 60s was at Henry Kaserne near 'central Munich'. Found in another document recording that the AYA officially closed on 30 July 1991.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:48 pm 
Perlurker

The AYA buildings were also used for two years as the first home of the Munich International School. The first year was the 1966-1967. After the 67-68 year, the school moved to Percha bei Starnberg. Behind the basic AYA buildings there were a couple of other buildings/houses. The school administration might have set up shop in on of them; the other was used for a couple of classes. The basic AYA building was used for classes and assemblies. I don't know if it was used as the AYA on weekends, or whether there had come a time in the 60's that it was shut down and then reopened for AYA purposes. Can't figure how it could have been used for both the school and the AYA purposes. There was also a basketball court (maybe converted from a tennis court?), and also an in ground swimming pool, which as far as I knew, was never used.