Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Class of 1980
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:32 pm 
F-Winger

I can't believe we don't have a thread started yet!

We were one of the coolest classes! 8)

I remember making fun of the girls that first started wearing straight legged pants. I thought it was a fad that would pass! LOL

I had a shirt that said "Hippies are wonderful people!" :lol:

Came back in 1982 for about a year. I am now married to John Jensen (yea!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Hi Terry!
Seventies styles, eh? I really liked those straight-legged jeans! I remember seeing them all over when I went to the States the summer of '76. I had to have a pair, and saved up to buy some of those Levis in the men's section of the p.x. when we came back to Munich. Later, in '78, again in the 'States, I saw lots of kids wearing painters pants which looked spiffy to me. I found a pair of Dickies painters in some store in CT, when I was visiting Angie Whiteman. But can you believe that i would iron those silly things when they came out all crumpled from the drier? Ha!
Chris :D

Good for you for starting a thread!

Post subject: Late 70's style!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:47 am 
F-Winger

I did like those painters pants! But I remember why I thought straight legged pants were horrible...you could see your feet! Thought it made everyone's feet look big!

I remember my mom used to add the coolest :D trim to my bell bottoms. Added material to the sides to make the flare really BIG!

Hip huggers...and flared bells! Too cool! :wink: Enough to make me SMILE on Tuesday! LOL

Came back in 1982 for about a year. I am now married to John Jensen (yea!)

Post subject: Clothes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:22 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Terry, do you remember when flares were called elephant pants in or around 6th grade? haha!
I remember adding trim to the bottoms of my jeans so they wouldn't be high waters.
Today I have a daughter, 5'11" who has a difficult time finding correct length pants. Many of the girls wear them longer than needed, so that they drag, you know what I mean? We have to special order her length from JC Penney or Target, since most of the time they can't be found on the shelf. Once I bought her a pair of Lucky brand jeans only cuz they fit. Bit me in the a$$ as much as they cost! Shoes? She wears an 11.5!
Now those are hard to find unless we buy sneakers. And at that, she is outta luck with the styles, which for women's styles stop at 10. (Vans, for example).
How about other moms out there, with tall girls? What's your solution to clothing and shoes?
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:54 am 
Mustang!

Chris, a friend of mine said the GAP is a great place to buy jeans for tall girls/women. She is 6.0 and she always finds jeans there, plus she's very slender and they look great on her. As far as shoes go...try Mervyn's or Sears...I'm a 10 and I have a hard time finding cute shoes, too.

I loved the bell bottom jeans and my mom also added trim just so she wasn't buying new ones every other month...I had a huge growth spurt in 6th and 7th grades finally hit my current height in 8th grade.

I'm always looking on E-bay for Earth Shoes...I loved those shoes. I had a great pair of them but they got a rip in the side from an amusement park ride here in CA. I'm particular as to what I'm looking for: they have to be the soft suade with the really light soles. Do you all remember those...they were so comfy!!!

Anyway it's always nice to see posts from you...

Have a great day!!!
Dawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:52 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

:D Hi Dawn!
I'd forgotten about GAP! It's been years since I've entered one, so thanks for the prompt to go there!
That trim we used to put on our pants bottoms (flares only) was so cool!
I remember doing that mainly in 6th and 7th grade... I don't remember about 8th and pants, but in 9th, I definitely liked wearing straight-legged Levis.
About your earth shoes search... are you familiar with Birkenstock's Bostons? They fit the description of what you like! I've heard of a discount Birkenstock site recently.... I'll ask the person who told me about it to refresh my memory, then I'll give it to you here....
Dawn, I remember you being taller than most girls, but you carried yourself with confidence. Must've been the athlete in you! How tall are you? In elementary school, I remember being one of the taller kids, but as hs rolled around, I guess I was about average height, 5"7'. People around here think I'm tall, but maybe San Antonio is just full of shorter people!

Great talking with you. Are you going to the reunion?
Enjoy today :D
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:00 am 
Mustang!

Gud morn tag...(my lame probably wrong german...lol),

I am 5.9 1/2ish....32 inch inseam...woman's slacks are hard to come by, and women's casual wear ie...jogging suits are never long enough or shrink even when washed in cold and hung to dry. They become house cleaning wear...sigh....I have yet to try the GAP but I think I will in the next month or so. I've lost quite a bit of 4 year left over baby weight and want some nice jeans to wear on vacation in a couple of months.
I hope you find your daughter some cute jeans that she'll love!!!

I won't be making it to the reunion :cry: , but I'm fully expecting that a whole thread will be posted here of pictures!!! Hint Hint....When I travel I go to my parents house as I only get to see them a couple of times a year. I know you all will have a blast and believe me, I'll be thinking of all the fun you are having. Hopefully, a reunion can be planned alittle closer to CA. someday. I know Las Vegas was mentioned and that could be a possibly for me.

Chris, I lived in San Antionio, gosh, in the early 70's, I went to Howard Elementary for 3rd-5th grades. We lived at 1610 Corita. If you ever find yourself around that area...do me a favor and try to find that street and tell me how it looks. Way back then it was a very nice area and everyone took very good care of their yards and houses.

I don't know if it's still there or not, but we used to go swimming in a spring fed pool in New Branfules. Man that was some cold water until you got used to it. Brrrrrrrr

Anyway that's about it for 6:50 in the a.m. Gotta go check out myspace...if anyone else is on myspace, maybe we could start a thread as another way to stay in touch. Mine has current pictures of my family and myself. If anyone would like the link just say so I'll private message you.

Have a wonderful day.
Dawn
dawnners@sbcglobal.net

P.S. Thanks for the compliment! Judy Laurance and I were always comparing who was taller...she was for the record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:33 am 
Mustang!

lol, like I said it was early this morning...I meant to say that Las Vegas could be a possibility for me....lol

Dawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:59 pm 
Blue Mud

Dawn,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but whereabouts in Monterey do you live? I just left there for the third time, having lived most recently up on the Presidio. I miss that town, and wish I didn't have to leave. Alas, professional reasons called me back east. I so miss Plume's and the Brit. *sigh* :cry:

Ralph

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:46 pm 
Mustang!

Hi Ralph,

I wanted to reach out to you a few times but figured you were a very busy person!!! I apologize for not doing so!!! :oops:

I actually live in Marina, but hang out at all the local parks with my son and park moms. I, too, love Plumes, don't get there to often as parking is the pits...but I used to work at the Wells Fargo there on the corner, and hit Plumes and Jamba Juice way to often. I only went to the Brit once as I usually would frequent Cibos when I'd go out.

There was just a huge fire on Alvarado, it started at Quiznos. Completely gutted Quiznos, Starbucks and someplace else...and caused major damage to a few other stores as well. Alvarado won't be the same for quite awhile.

When and if you make it back out to the Peninsula be sure to let me know. I'll buy you a treat at Plumes!!!! :D

Good luck with your new assignment and thanks for all you do to protect and serve our country.

Dawn
dawnners@sbcglobal.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:54 pm 
Blue Mud

Dawn,

Yes, the fire happened the just a few days before I left. How tragic, especially in light of the historic nature of the buildings downtown.

How long have you been on the Central Coast? I would love to be able to settle there permanently someday. It's such a tranquil part of the world, and I am obsessive about running the Big Sur Marathon every year that I am there.

Hopefully it won't be too terribly long before I get back there. My wife still lives there, and still has a few months left. Oh, and I'll have a large hot chocolate with the works, please!

Ralph

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:59 pm 
Mustang!

Ralph,

My dad was a Service Manager (did contracts for vendors) with AAFES. His assigned out of Munich was to Fort Ord. We left Munich just before school ended my Freshman. I of course started a brand new school (Seaside High) with no friends and a horrible sense of insecurity and I was depressed. That was in 1978 and I wanted to be in Munich. My poor parents didn't know what to do to make me happy!!!

I married in 1982, and they left for Shreveport, LA. in 1983. I'm more of a California girl than anything else now.

I know that you have friends here, but if your wife would like to contact me it would be fine with me. Let me know.

I hope you make it back here as we need people who appreciate this area and love it as much as the locals do.

Ok that's it for now...take care.

Dawn

P.S. Two hot chocolates one with everything, one light! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:03 pm 
Mustang!

Good grief, my son is making me nuts right now...

typo corrections lol:

my dads assignment was...

Freshman year...

Sorry, I didn't proof read what I wrote.

Dawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:31 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Quote:
Chris, I lived in San Antionio, gosh, in the early 70's, I went to Howard Elementary for 3rd-5th grades. We lived at 1610 Corita. If you ever find yourself around that area...do me a favor and try to find that street and tell me how it looks. Way back then it was a very nice area and everyone took very good care of their yards and houses.

I don't know if it's still there or not, but we used to go swimming in a spring fed pool in New Branfules. Man that was some cold water until you got used to it. Brrrrrrrr

Hi Dawn, I meant to write back to you earlier....
I'm not familiar with Corita, but I can google map it to see where it is and check up on your old home! Did you live near Lackland or Ft. Sam?

Ohhhh, yes the New Braunfels River Park has a great swimming area, and yep, it's chilly willy! Here's something: When we arrived to this area in 2003, we took our kids to that park for a refreshing way to beat the heat. My very protective hubby, the engineer and the Marine, got seriously concerned with the vortex in the swimming area. Vortex? I didn't know what he was talking about! He made the kids get out and didn't let them back in!!!!! I was incredulous, but trusting his knowledge of just about everything, I conceded. But now his mom, who was there, and I, laugh about "the vortex" incident!!! :D