Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY...

Not 9/11 related, but that's where my brother is currently stationed. Is it one of those bases that EVERYONE goes through? I thought it was sort of unusual he got transferred there. Perhaps not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 pm 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
Not 9/11 related, but that's where my brother is currently stationed. Is it one of those bases that EVERYONE goes through? I thought it was sort of unusual he got transferred there. Perhaps not.

Well, the 101st is one of the major combat divisions, so it's not at all unusual for someone to be stationed there eventually. Other notable divisions include 1st INF DIV (Ft. Riley, KS; USAREUR), 2nd INF DIV (Camp Red Cloud, Korea; Ft. Lewis, WA), 3rd INF DIV (Ft. Stewart, GA), 4th INF DIV (Ft. Hood, TX; Ft. Carson, CO), 1st CAV DIV (Ft. Hood, TX), 10th MTN DIV (Ft. Drum, NY) and 82nd ABN DIV (Ft. Bragg, NC). There are others, of course, within PACOM and SOUTHCOM, but these are the heavy hitters stateside.

Wow, that was probably a little more detail than you needed. What's your brother's MOS?

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:30 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
Well, the 101st is one of the major combat divisions, so it's not at all unusual for someone to be stationed there eventually. Other notable divisions include 1st INF DIV (Ft. Riley, KS; USAREUR), 2nd INF DIV (Camp Red Cloud, Korea; Ft. Lewis, WA), 3rd INF DIV (Ft. Stewart, GA), 4th INF DIV (Ft. Hood, TX; Ft. Carson, CO), 1st CAV DIV (Ft. Hood, TX), 10th MTN DIV (Ft. Drum, NY) and 82nd ABN DIV (Ft. Bragg, NC). There are others, of course, within PACOM and SOUTHCOM, but these are the heavy hitters stateside.

Wow, that was probably a little more detail than you needed.

yeah...i was just making conversation...

Just kidding, no, that actually was very interesting since it's something I know very little about. All of my relatives who have been in the service haven't really talked about anything like that. My uncle got two purple hearts and is buried in Arlington and we were close...but he never EVER mentioned being in the military or serving in Vietnam. My knowledge of it is shockingly vague.

Quote:
What's your brother's MOS?

He jumps out of planes, a LOT...which I'm sure is a matter of opinion as I see "a lot" as being a very very low number...he also packs parachutes as i recall. I'm sure that's got a real name, but I don't know it. He hasn't been in long...just a couple of years.

Post subject: My Birthday
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:44 pm 
Playin' the Ponies

Thanks! Today I took a vacation day and tonight I had the best flan I've had in at least 20 years!

Post subject: Re: My Birthday
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:04 am 
Blue Mud

Gavin wrote:
Thanks! Today I took a vacation day and tonight I had the best flan I've had in at least 20 years!

Not 9/11 related, but I need to comment on "The best Flan". Flan is something I have only tasted once, in Spain, out in the Boonies somewhere. It was very good, so if you had the best in 20 years, then that must have made for a very nice Birthday indeed!

Maybe some of you will appreciate this... Not 9/11 related, but very American.
We just had a Burger King open in our area!!!!!! I am going to indulge in a Cheese Bacon Whopper Meal in about 1.25 hours! Haven´t had one since, the fall of 2005! Wish me luck!
p.s. with Twisters! I am a sinner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:15 am 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
...he also packs parachutes as i recall. I'm sure that's got a real name, but I don't know it.

"Parachute Rigger" (MOS 92R)

:wink:

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:50 am 
Blue Mud

Spinach in your front teeth? :lol:

magnum= big
lots of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:52 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Haven't stopped in here in awhile.. and just saw this thread... I was here in Arizona, getting ready for work that morning, when I saw it on the tv... needless to say I was late that day.... have a lot of family back east and a couple of cousins who worked in the towers... it was just a miracle that they were not there when they came down... one has a job share and it was her day off and the other had overslept and missed his train that morning... it took us two days to get in touch with them... I will always remember...

on a side note... my son is now doing his BT at Ft. Benning, GA after which his will go to AIT at Ft. Gordon, GA... his MOS 25U, Signal Corp.

-Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:51 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Just watched Darryl Worley's "Have You Forgotten"... love it - very well done! Thank you Darryl..

-Lisa

Post subject: Re: September 11, 2001 -- Where were you?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 pm 
Perlurker

Thsis is John Clarke class of 84. I was in the Sarasota, Florida in the very school that George Bush was reading his story. The secret service made leave a school on his arrival.