Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Gmail Suite (GMail, Google Docs, Etc)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:46 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Hiya Gang:

I am a tremendous fan of the Google Suite-- all of the cool (and better yet, free) stuff that comes from getting a Gmail account. I use it all day, every day for just about everything... and not just mail. It has become my de facto life manager (and if you are anything like me, you need all of the life-managing you can handle).

The basic functionality of mail is cool enough in itself, and the base products (calendar, docs) kick a** as-is. Google Notebook is one of my unsung heroes. Blogger helps me keep track of what I do (e.g. for when my customer asks what I have done). Lotsa cool stuff.

I have also started using Gmail as my default records management system-- I can never find pieces of paper, so I scan (I am lucky enough to be 'in the business' and have a cool scanner and some software) and mail the scans as attachment-- I put all of the text I want in the body of the mail so I can search and then label the mail as a 'record'-- then I can always find stuff (at tax time, etc).

Does anybody else use Gsuite heavily? Does anybody want me to provide info on it? There are good tutorials right on the site for the basics, but I can give you cool tips if you want.

This will change your life, seriously. Just having a grand unified calendar for everybody in the family is a lifesaver. Serious win.

Geekily yours,

--Rob.

Rob Foore, MAHS '84

Lobstah4@gmail.com

AIM: Lobstah4
Y!IM: rnfoore@yahoo.com
MSNIM: Lobstah4@hotmail.com

Post subject: Google Man
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:00 pm 
Poobah

Hey Rob,

Good to 'see' you on the board? Did you pick up a GooglePhone when they came out? I remember you touting those a long while back.

I've got a Google Suite question. The Docs feature...it looks like you can store your 'stuff' there and grant access to it for others? Am I reading that right? So if'in I wanted to put a boat load of common files out there and have somebody else read and write to them, I can do that?

Tony

Post subject: Googlism
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:49 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Hiya Tony:

Yeah, it's been too long since I have checked in. Will try to do better.

I have not bought an Android-powered device yet... waiting for next-gen to make sure that it is debugged. However, I guarantee that that will be my platform of choice. Open OS, OpenSDK and APIs... what is not to love about that? You are guaranteed to get the most innovative solutions, because anybody with a good idea can build an app.

Google Docs allows you to upload your text docs (e.g. Word), spreadsheets (e.g. XLS), and presentations (e.g. PPT). I have been using this pretty much exclusively instead of MSFT office as it does 99% of what I need it to do without having to have anything other than a browser. You can categorize your stuff into 'folders' and everything... and it is all fulltext searchable (it's Google, duh). There are size limitations per file at the moment:

Documents (up to 500KB)

* HTML files and plain text (.txt).
* Microsoft Word (.doc), Rich Text (.rtf), OpenDocument Text (.odt) and StarOffice (.sxw).

Presentations (up to 10MB from your computer, 2MB from the web, 500KB via email)

* Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps).

Spreadsheets (up to 1MB)

* Comma Separated Value (.csv).
* Microsoft Excel (.xls) files and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods).

PDF Files (up to 10MB from your computer, 2MB from the web)

...but I hope that this will go away eventually.

The options for publishing as a web page (which I do quite a bit-- my resume is here) are at this link, as are sharing/collaboration options. I have never really done any collaboration, but I am sure that it works great).

Another option for filesharing (as well as just plain cloud-storage) is Dropbox... http://getdropbox.com. That has saved my skin a number of times. Online backup, sharing, you name it.

Hope this helps, Pachango.

--Rob.

Rob Foore, MAHS '84

Lobstah4@gmail.com

Post subject: Google Notebook
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:56 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

...and while I am here... I might as well post my link to my published Google Notebook Recipe File. Not only does it give you an example of what you can do, but you might also get some good recipes out of it. ;) Enjoy and let me know what you think.

http://www.google.com/notebook/public/14950805639109462754/BDQJ1SgoQ4tDfq8Aj?hl=en

Rob Foore, MAHS '84

Lobstah4@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:45 am 
Blue Mud

Agincourt Content Management? Interesting choice of name. One hopes you're in the role of Henry and not Charles d'Albret.

:wink:

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject: Zackly
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."

An oblique reference to my old (late, lamented) company and the extraordinary people who worked there... we still stay in touch and help each other out.

BTW for those of you who don't get what Ralph and I are talking about-- it's from Shakespeare's Henry V. I would at the very least recommend that you rent Kenneth Brannagh's adaptation. Brilliant in every way.

Rob Foore, MAHS '84

Lobstah4@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:06 pm 
Blue Mud

I'm not ashamed to say that Henry's St. Crispin's Day speech (as told by William S.) still gets me all aquiver.

My former Army unit, the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), was also closely associated with the above excerpted speech by Stephen Ambrose.

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject: Re: The Gmail Suite (GMail, Google Docs, Etc)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm 
Poobah

Rob! The board's back...Where you at?? It took some years,but I'm finally with you re: the Google suite of tools!

Post subject: Re: The Gmail Suite (GMail, Google Docs, Etc)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 am 
Wind Up Merchant

ToneSavvy82 wrote:
Rob! The board's back...Where you at?? It took some years,but I'm finally with you re: the Google suite of tools!

1. The board never went away!

2. Yes, Rob, where you at?