Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ms Hanson's PIP and CAM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:20 pm 
Dayton Deserter

I have to share this with you all since nobody else I know has a clue what I'm talking about. I HATED Hanson's history class, mostly because history wasn't my favorite subject. One of the very few things I remember from there was her harping on 2 acronyms "PiZARro conquered the INcas in PerUUU, CorTEZ conquered the AZtecs in MEXico.. PIP! CAM!". Never in my wildest dreams did I think these would actually come in handy, never mind 25 years after I heard them. BUT today I was sitting taking the PRAXIS exam for elementary content knowledge (like an SAT for teacher certification), and wouldn't you know it, there was a question about the Incas and Peru. I sent a silent thank you to Ms Hanson in whatever afterlife she ended up in. Plus, I got a huge chuckle out of it.

Okay, so maybe I'm just trying to post so the poor board doesn't look so empty.

Patty

Post subject: Miss Hanson's History Class
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:00 pm 
Perlurker

Just have to say that everyone I know in my junior class ('70) who took Hanson's history class absolutely hated it. She made us take copious notes and graded us on those as well as our tests. If she didn't like your notes, she would downgrade you, even if you passed your tests with flying colors! And there was no room for discussion about different viewpoints of history--it was her way or the highway. I like to think that students like me (who she almost flunked for reasons I won't go into) paved the way for a mellower, gentler Ms. Hanson for you guys in the '80s. I'll say this for her: she certainly made an impression. Whether you liked her or not, she stuck with you. I also believe that whether one agreed with her methods or not, she was a dedicated teacher who did her best to pound what she could into our resistant brains.

She would no doubt be amused that later in life I would get an M.A... in history of all things!

Liz