Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The MAHS Fund
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:18 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Ok...I wanted to do something like this for a while...current events have altered my intent and my timeline.

My original intent was to have the MAHS fund be a pool of money that could be used for reunions and such. I never thought it would be a LOT of money, but a couple hundred dollars here or there to reunion efforts would help a little.

If there was a time when there were no reunions, a scholarship for the offspring of MAHS alumni maybe could be offered. Again, not much money, I grant you, but a little...to help a little.

Katrina, though, has changed how I would like to kick off the fund.

There are members of this board who have family members that have been directly impacted by the storm. I would like to have all the money that the fund builds up until Dec. 31, 2005 go to them.

There are two ways the fund gets money. The easiest and most simple way is direct donation. You can do this at this link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=mustang%40munichamericanhs%2ecom&item_name=The%20MAHS%20Fund%20%2d%20Katrina&no_shipping=1&cn=Message&tax=0&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

(This link is also on the page linked below)

The other way is by shopping at the MAHS community's own Kaufingerstrasse!

http://www.munichamericanhs.com/kaufinger.htm

Every purchase there will earn a commission, all the commissions earned until the end of the year will be sent to the MAHS families impacted by the storm.

We've all got shopping to do, if you could check the links there first to see if there is something helpful, it would add a few dollars to the fund to help out. The Credit Card links are particularly profitable, if you're in the market for a new card, please check there first. Your new card could mean a great deal.

The fund is a non-profit in that no one is making any money from it. The board and the board community is just acting as the middleman. The point is, your donations are not tax exempt. To be a formal 501c3 takes money and forms and we're not there yet.

I will post updates, totals, and other financial statements on this thread, however, I will make that thread "Hidden" so that you must be registered and signed-in to read it. Also, for the commissions, there won't be any record of who bought what, so that donation is anonymous. If you want the straight donation to be anonymous as well, please note that in the message section.

PLEASE, if you have any questions, please contact me here or at: mustangs@munichamericanhs.com. On the board would be best as I'd like to keep the fund as open and transparent as possible.

Let's get going. Time is critical.

Thanks,
mr.bill

Post subject: Nice job!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:20 pm 
Poobah

Bravo, Mr. Bill! A great gesture and a great avenue to allow MAHSers to help those in our extended family.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:37 pm 
Mustang!

Think twice about that Paypal link. The guys at SomethingAwful.com just did that, raised about $30,000 in a few days, and then Paypal really screwed them over good. Even selecting the "donation" account type didn't help.

Do the direct donation thing instead. I donated to the American Red Cross, but several neighbors are working with the Salvation Army as well. According to Kevin's post, the Salvation Army is more effective in his area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:09 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Tom...explain the "screwed them over" part a little more. I know they're going to take a cut, that's the cost of doing something like this, especially if the donors are using a credit card. Was there something else they did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:41 pm 
Mustang!

Look on this page: http://www.somethingawful.com/inserts/i ... r-2005.htm and read every post that includes the word Paypal.

Yes, Rick "Lowtax" Kyanka is a jerk, but he's got a valid point and they did close his account, shut down the donations, and keep his money for days.

See also the parts regarding the United Way, a strongarm "charity" organization I've hated since I worked at Zales in 1985.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:32 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

That is a terrible story, and I do have some issues with Paypal, but by and large they've worked well for me and I've had thousands and thousands of dollars go through my account from things I've sold on ebay. I've also been livid at the inability to get a live person on the line because there's no customer service number on the site (or, if there is, it's very well hidden...I can get another paypal member's number, but I can't get paypal's).

That said, I'm sure our PayPal link will be fine. I'm doubting that the board's little link is going to see a TENTH of the $30000 that flooded his account, and that'll be over weeks or months, not in the few hours his filled up. I'm sure that did look a bit odd.

Anyway, I hope some folks do use the Kaufingerstrasse links and do some donating. It would be great to see the alumni community help out some of their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:14 pm 
WienerWalder

Mr Bill,

Thanks for the Kaufingerstr link. I'll certainly check there before making purchases. I do find it interesting that LastMinuteTravel.com is advertising New Orleans at a discount (maybe this rotates, but someone at LMT should remove that ad).

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:15 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Susan

That's interesting. I didn't even notice that. I'll see if I can change that manually by switching to other code or something. Very odd.

Thanks!

Post subject: Hurricane Rita......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:16 am 
Mustang!

Hey Guys dont forget Hurricane Rita in Southeast Tx. we Lost everything along with several of my friends.. We will recover But say a pray for us

Thanks Billy Shouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:01 pm 
Mr Bill,
You are one of a kind. Thanks for your thoughts and all you try to do to help others. sincerly Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:13 pm 
Mustang!

A wonderful thing your are doing here , Mr. Bill.

My family and I evacuated Rita ( what a nightmare) , but we were ok and the house was spared as the storm changed course.

((Billy & family))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:31 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

billy, i'm so very sorry. but i'm glad you and yours are ok.
hope things are better already.
jojo