Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does anyone remember me? Matt Margison (Aussie79)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:47 am 
Perlurker

G'day,

I went to MAHS between 1974-1977. I think that I was the only Australian kid there at the time - might have been the only Aussie student ever. I played on the jr. varsity football team and wrestled on the varsity team 76-77. I returned to Australia in 1977, though I would have graduated in '79. My nickname, of course, was Aussie. Would love to hear from anyone that remembers me.

Cheers,

Matt Margison (Aussie 79)

Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember me? Matt Margison (Aussie79)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:02 pm 
Blue Mud

Aussie79 wrote:
G'day,

I went to MAHS between 1974-1977. I think that I was the only Australian kid there at the time - might have been the only Aussie student ever. I played on the jr. varsity football team and wrestled on the varsity team 76-77. I returned to Australia in 1977, though I would have graduated in '79. My nickname, of course, was Aussie. Would love to hear from anyone that remembers me.

Cheers,

Matt Margison (Aussie 79)

G'day, and welcome to the board! I arrived in Munich in '79, so we wouldn't have known each other. I don't know about any other Aussies, but we did have a Kiwi (Shanlee Clarke) during my time there.

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:29 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

i didn't know you either, not because i wasn't there, but because i was in elementary school. but you might remember my dad, one of the guidence counselors, gary schroeder.
like ralph said, welcome to the board. glad to have you with us.
so are you back in oz now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 am 
F-Winger

Matt,

Welcome to the board. I do remember you, and that broken leg that you ended up with. I also remember a certain skateboard that you "acquired" back in the day. : :shock:

So where are you now? Do you remember Kenny Robinson? He's now a veterinarian in the Sidney area.

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:17 am 
Perlurker

Yeah - I broke my ankle in a jr. varsity football game. And that "acquired" skateboard was the reason that I went back to Oz. It's been a long and winding road since that time. In the early eighties I attended a drama school in Sydney (National Institute of Dramatic Art - where Mel Gibson, et al. went). I worked as theatre actor for 10 years in Oz. Was married for five years to a fairly famous Aussie tv actress. The acting work dried up, so in my early 30s I went to uni, stayed for 8 years, finished a doctorate in Buddhist Studies and now I teach at Chiang Mai University in Thailand. I have been here for five years and have a Thai wife and a 2 1/2 year old gorgeous half Aussie/ half Thai daughter.

Can you remind how we knew each other? And Kenny? Did we go to AYA together sometime? I still have my yearbooks for '76 and '77, but they are in Oz (still got my letter jacket too).

Cheers,

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Well, hi Matt!
I remember you, too! I think that we had P.E. at the same time when you were in 8th grade and I was a 7th grader. Of course you had Mr. Willett and I had Ms. Feeney. You may remember Nicole Walsh, Monica Miliziano, Chris Britton, Rhonda Rickett and of course, Nancy Ohm? There were a bunch of others.... we all had PE right before lunch or was it brunch? Heck, i'm losing tabs on memories i'd thought to have forever!

Back then, when you were still there, I hung out with Angie Whiteman and Linda Vega. I think you sometimes hung around with Chuck Whiteman, but honestly, don't recall. What about Jim Drago? Bill Malone? Todd Vanderbosch? Dave Hollingsworth? I seem to see you in my mind's eye with them....

I know that you remember Jennifer Newburn.... What about Laura Griswold? I'm thinking that pleasant memories will have been jogged when you see their names.... I remember the last day of school one year, maybe your last year there....I can't remember if you lived in Perlacher or if you rode a bus....I do remember Laura rode the bus to O'Gau and that she wanted me to come out to the bus stop with her because you wanted to talk with her and she was nervous.... or maybe it wasn't Laura that time, maybe it was Stephanie.... all i remember is that sooooo many Munich girls were crushing on you big time, and that you were not only great looking, but a nice guy, too.

It's great to see you here.... hope you hang around to chat when you can.
I thought I saw an entry of yours back a while ago at another Munich website.... but i haven't been back there in a long time because this one is so great!

Your life sure has taken an exotic road! What made you leave Oz for Thailand?

Do tell your story about the aquired skateboard! Not many of us knew why you left Munich..... sorry that your time in Munich ended because of that..... did you return home on your own or did your family go with you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 am 
Blue Mud

Howdy, Matt, and glad you found our little corner of the internet!!

Did you leave the summer of '77? Just wondering if you might have known my older brother Greg, he was class of '78 and was on the football team that fall.

chrisz80 wrote:
a nice guy, too.

Oh, no, not the dreaded yearbook inscription again!!! :lol:
Sorry, cross-pollinating from another thread; couldn't resist.

Post subject: Banzaiiii
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 am 
F-Winger

Aussie-I remember your crazy a$$ from those days. Wouldn't have had my illustrious skateboarding career without your help. Muhammad Ali coming to the campus was memorable, too. Do you remember who asked him, "if you're so bad, why didn't you go to Vietnam?? It was a pretty bold quip and something you never forget. Good to hear you're doing well and sounds like you've lived in some pretty interesting places.
Ivan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:16 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

IvanB,
It's been a long, long time.... where did you come from? Wassup w/you not even saying "hi"???? Hmmm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Just wondering if you might have known my older brother Greg, he was class of '78 and was on the football team that fall.
[quote]

OMG, I can't believe it, after all our correspondence, John, i never realized you and Greg are brothers!!!! Did your family live in 306?
Where is Greg these days, and does he plan to go to the reunion?
Does he hear from Matt, also Class of '78?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:56 am 
Blue Mud

chrisz80 wrote:
jhicks85 wrote:
Just wondering if you might have known my older brother Greg, he was class of '78 and was on the football team that fall.

OMG, I can't believe it, after all our correspondence, John, i never realized you and Greg are brothers!!!! Did your family live in 306?
Where is Greg these days, and does he plan to go to the reunion?
Does he hear from Matt, also Class of '78?

Yes, Chris, we lived in 306, C-2. He is in the DC area. It would be difficult for him to go to something he doesn't know about. He attended MAHS for only his senior year, so I don't know if he "connected" enough with anyone to keep in touch with. I guess I should let him know about it, though, since I could be wrong.

I'm sure he didn't know about the reunion last year, which is why he didn't attend. Had he known about it, he might have since it was in his "backyard."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:03 pm 
F-Winger

chrisz80 wrote:
IvanB,
It's been a long, long time.... where did you come from? Wassup w/you not even saying "hi"???? Hmmm?

Hey Chris
I wasn't sure who'd remember me. It's cool to see that you do. I've been in touch with John Wagner and have seen a few folks over the years in some really strange places. How are you? You had the best legs in the cheerleading squad, as I recall. I've been trying to run down Jamie Hasenei, Bert Law. Used to fish with your little brother at Dachau. Lots to catch up on. My email is glockjock@msn.com drop me a line sometime

Post subject: Bert Law
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 pm 
Poobah

Hello Ivan,

Bert was one of the first board joiners back when. If you browse the memberlist, you'll see him within the first couple of pages, I think (Bert79). If you haven't already, you can send him a private message through the board and he might see it and respond.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:59 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Tony, you are right. Bert is in Florida, isn't he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:52 pm 
Poobah

Yep, last I heard, he was in Florida.