Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:31 am 
Blue Mud

So, Jojo, are you going to be our own Jack Kerouac?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:16 am 
Blue Mud

Jojo,
Not that I would want to trade this present life that I have away, but I could have gone for some free life on the road for a while.
All this time I saw you in a NYC apartment typing away with a cat on your lap and working at the yoga place by day to earn a living.But that is only in the movies that a struggling -some day -famous author could afford that huh? I don´t even think my imagination can think up the renting price in the City.
But driving a red mobil across country, that sounds pretty romantic and adventurous too.
Was this Jack K. guy any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:28 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" -- great book! Carolyn, you should add it to your reading list.

-Lisa
Class of '84

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 am 
Blue Mud

Lisa1984 wrote:
Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" -- great book! Carolyn, you should add it to your reading list.

-Lisa
Class of '84

Hi Lisa,
I am reading "Running with Scissors". I like it so far! Oh so many books, so little time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:14 am 
Thinking About Getting a Life

JK got famous for saying the same thing that agatha christie pointed out at least two decades earlier. oh well, nothing's really new conceptually, is it.
jon: i write light-hearted piffle, merely to entertain. so, i guess i'm not the next JK. but i do love a long drive. it's very freeing.
one time i drove across with my dog. that was the best! he barked at the cows and i sang along to the radio. we ate hot-dogs, i drank coffee, he drank water... it was great. one of my friends looked at my pics and remarked that there were so many pictures of jeeves (my dog) and none of me. well, i mean, after all, i'm the one with opposable thumbs.
i'll be flying sans dog on this trip. and sans a/c. this red dune buggy really is basic.
carolyn: i lead a charmed life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:36 am 
Blue Mud

jojo wrote:
i write light-hearted piffle, merely to entertain.

That's what all you authors say. :lol:

Even so, you have to start somewhere. At least you had the nerve and initiative to actually write something and get it published. You never know, your next effort could be the next Great American Novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:52 pm 

yes. in fact, now that you mention it, i really am a great novelist. i'm merely misunderstood. it seems like i write entertaining piffle, but in fact it's subtly profound.
that's the genius of my work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:42 pm 
Blue Mud

jojo wrote:
yes. in fact, now that you mention it, i really am a great novelist. i'm merely misunderstood. it seems like i write entertaining piffle, but in fact it's subtly profound.
that's the genius of my work.

Plus, it's got lots of sweet, hot, looooove action.

Did I say that out loud?

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 pm 

yeah! pass it along. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:47 am 
WienerWalder

jojo wrote:
at the moment i'm in washington dc, bunking with a very kind friend who let's me use the back room (as if it were my own) in her house whenever i'm looking for a spot to live, which is frequently.
i've never been to israel. almost got there from Cairo on a 'holy land tour' once, but all hell broke loose and they canceled. i'm looking forward to exploring that area one of these days though.
clearly i don't have children or anything like that, although i do have a dog. he's about the cutest thing ever, and is currently living with my parents in porltand. i'm planning to go visit that whole west coast connection soon, so i'll get to see him shortly. i love a X country trip. this is a gorgeous country and i never tire of another fresh look at it.
that's me in a nutshell, i think. or not so nutshell?
send your pic to mr bill to post on the board! let us see you and your family all these years later.

sorry that I am so late in answering.
shame that I didn't know you were in dc as i was there in november. my parents live in silver spring and have lived in the dc area since we left Munich.
lucky you that you get to go cross country. we did it in the summer of '74 when we moved to ft. lewis. I don't remember much about oregon, but i remember crater lake and the 2nd tallest water fall in the states. washington is a really beautiful state though. it has all the different climates- from desert to rain forest, from sea shore to 14,410. enjoy the fresh salmon!!
when sending my present pic should i also send the class pic from mr. bobrick of our year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 am 

i am lucky, you're right. i love the trip cross country. and i feel my luck in being able to go.
the pac nw is beautiful. and i have some long time, dear friends in SF and Portland. so i'm really looking forward to getting out there again. but i want to be back on the east coast for autumn. (i think) i'm still hopeful that one of these falls is going to turn around and we're going to have the colors again that made new england so famous. it's been a while.
next time you're out this way we'll get together.
yes, send all the pics from the good old days that you've got and care to share, and all the same of the present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:47 am 
Blue Mud

ruvkoss85 wrote:
shame that I didn't know you were in dc...

I was there in October. That goes for all of y'all in the general vicinity of our nation's Capital.

Jojo, when you embark on this journey of yours, are we going to get a travelogue? Or should that be travelblog?

Last edited by jhicks85 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:42 am 

i'd be happy to write a travelblog. might be lots of stupid garbage, as hours alone will tend to do, but it'd be fun.
great idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:23 pm 
Perlurker

jhicks85 wrote:
Gerald Heddleson wrote:
I know it' a long shot, but are they still with us?

Howdy, Gerald!!! Welcome aboard!!!

You're right, it is a very long shot. Should Ivar Franzen still be alive, it would be amazing since he would be near 100 years old. That and he probably had emphysema when he retired, either after the '80-'81 or '81-'82 school year. I believe was in his early 70's at that time. I used to go and visit after 6th grade, he is by far my favorite teacher of all time. When he retired he gave me one of his old wooden slide rules (I still have it) and some six-sided dice (have those somewhere, too). I'm fairly certain he has gone on to his eternal rest. :cry:

Can you imagine a teacher now chain smoking like that in class? Oh, the horrors!! :)

I had the distinct honor of having both of these wonderful teachers...Mr. & Mrs. Franzen. I loved them both! I left Munich in 1977 and when I returned in 1981, the first thing I did was go to Mr. Franzen's classroom. I was so disappointed to find out they had retired stateside due to health reasons. Mrs. Franzen taught me my love of reading and knitting...remember those ridiculous hat creations she made us make while she read to us? Mr. Franzen taught me how to develope film....back in the days when it took the darkroom and developer etc.... plus I hand printed all the signs for the school using his slides and ink....WAY before computer printer printers were IN>>>> These two teachers were my inspirations...and I thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 pm 
Blue Mud

Hi Alison my old friend!
My sister had Mr. Franzen, and she still talks about him. He was her favorite teacher and there are so many stories from his class.
I figured out that you were in Munich my first year. We still physically played and got all sweaty with the other kids.We had fun.We girls could still conquer the boys. We were bigger.
We had our big backyard camp out with the boys tent and the girls tent, and my mom caught us in the wrong tent.Big trouble since we had promised to behave.
I am so happy to see you here :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next