Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:24 am 
Blue Mud

ralphdsmith wrote:
The fellow on Donnie's right (back row, 4th from the right, to us), I believe is some guy whose last name is Hoffman. I think he was our goalie during DYA soccer.

Ralph, right guy, wrong name, but good memory anyway! I was the goalkeeper for D-league soccer, especially when we played in the FC Bayern youth league. I was also goalkeeper for C-league, but I mostly played left defender because I sort of had a left leg. John Sanders played in goal most of those games.

I wish I was paying more attention when I read that post the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:28 am 
Blue Mud

ruvkoss85 wrote:
I just signed up. glad to see old friends. In Ms. Foxes class pic on the bottom left is corbett holmond. and right above jojo it looks like john sanders.
I know I have Mr. Bobrick's 6th grade class picture of 78-79. have to find it.

Shalom, Reuven!!! Good to hear from you, even though I'm a little tardy on the repsonse. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:20 pm 
Blue Mud

jhicks85 wrote:
ralphdsmith wrote:
The fellow on Donnie's right (back row, 4th from the right, to us), I believe is some guy whose last name is Hoffman. I think he was our goalie during DYA soccer.

Ralph, right guy, wrong name, but good memory anyway! I was the goalkeeper for D-league soccer, especially when we played in the FC Bayern youth league. I was also goalkeeper for C-league, but I mostly played left defender because I sort of had a left leg. John Sanders played in goal most of those games.

I wish I was paying more attention when I read that post the first time.

A thousand pardons, my good man! Those years of doubling up on the "Pro-77" tube socks -- and the ensuing constriction -- had a deleterious effect on my memory.

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 pm 
Blue Mud

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
A thousand pardons, my good man! Those years of doubling up on the "Pro-77" tube socks -- and the ensuing constriction -- had a deleterious effect on my memory.

No need to apologize, I remember those socks, too. I think there was a Hoffman in either your class or mine after sixth grade, so it is understandable, never mind the 20+ years between then and now.

Ah yes, the Pro-77 tube socks, kept my legs warm on many a cold day of "football." Especially since I never wore sweats, except when in goal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:47 pm 
WienerWalder

jhicks85 wrote:
ruvkoss85 wrote:
I just signed up. glad to see old friends. In Ms. Foxes class pic on the bottom left is corbett holmond. and right above jojo it looks like john sanders.
I know I have Mr. Bobrick's 6th grade class picture of 78-79. have to find it.

Shalom, Reuven!!! Good to hear from you, even though I'm a little tardy on the repsonse. :(

Howdy John!!! Great to hear from you.
Since I'm not going to be at the reunion I am asking the question- how do you have children that old- my oldest is 17 which is half the age of of your oldest.
Reuven (':lol:')

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:54 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

hi ruven,
welcome to the board! it's great to see your voice again. what have the last 20 something years been like for you?
jojo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 pm 
Blue Mud

jojo wrote:
hi ruven,
welcome to the board! it's great to see your voice again. what have the last 20 something years been like for you?
jojo

Oh Jojo. You sure know how to turn a phrase! I guess that's why you're the writer! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:36 am 
Blue Mud

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
Well, koo-koo-ka-choo, Mrs. Robinson!

Reuven, there's part of your answer, Ralph is a smart cookie!!!

The short answer is that my wife is a leeeetle older than me, and technically they are my stepkids, but I have never called them that. The oldest (who is now deceased) was 18 when we got married, the middle one was 15, just 10 days shy of her 16th birthday, and the youngest was 14. The 7-year old was our grandson until our oldest and his wife died. We adopted him after that. The other grandkids are the children of the other two.

Now it's your turn to answer a question. Did you follow in your Dad's footsteps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 pm 
WienerWalder

jojo wrote:
hi ruven,
jojo
Now it's your turn to answer a question. Did you follow in your Dad's footsteps?

First off- it's great to be chatting with everyone after all these years.
And for the main question-we left Munich for Ft. Belvoir in the summer of 81 - the end of 8th grade. The week I graduated h.s. my parents moved to silver spring and are there since.
After I finished h.s. I went to Israel for a year and stayed. My wife and I are married 18 years and have 3 sons- ages 17, 14, and 12. We live in a town called Netivot which is in the northern negev. I do have a rabbinical degree but I am not a pulpit rabbi. I am a mashgiach kashrut,- a supervisor to make sure foods are kosher in a number of establishments - one of them being a mcdonalds.
John- sorta figured that out but did not know what "koo-koo-ka-choo, Mrs. Robinson" meant. What would Mr. Henderson say! And by the way - where is he?
Jojo- what is the name of your book??

reuven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:21 pm 
Blue Mud

ruvkoss85 wrote:
John- sorta figured that out but did not know what "koo-koo-ka-choo, Mrs. Robinson" meant.

Ruven, that was a reference to the movie "The Graduate," starring Dustin Hoffman. In the broad strokes, Dustin Hoffman plays a college graduate who has an affair with his father's business partner's wife, Mrs. Robinson. "Koo-koo-ka-choo, Mrs. Robinson" is taken from the lyrics of the theme song by Simon and Garfunkel.

Of course, this is not to imply that Jon hooked up with a married woman, just a more experienced one. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:47 am 
WienerWalder

[quote="ralphdsmith84"][ Mrs. Robinson" is taken from the lyrics of the theme song by Simon and Garfunkel.

Fwiw when I was in Morrison's choir we learned bridge over troubled waters and sounds of silence.
reuven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:48 am 
Blue Mud

ruvkoss85 wrote:
jojo wrote:
hi ruven,
jojo

Jojo- what is the name of your book??

reuven

Jojo´s book:

http://www.amazon.com/Forks-Flowerpots- ... 891&sr=8-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:58 pm 

reuven,
dear carolyn jumped on this one. she is a very kind person who is a cheerleader for me, which i love!
that being said:
let me give a little warning about my book.
it's full of sex. some might even say "smutty". and religion in general doesn't come off looking so good. (let's just say it's not a piece of religious advocacy.) i am an equal opportunity cynic so it's not just religion that gets slammed. love and societal mores are in for a dig or two as well.
i think it's a good story, but i've heard plenty of complaints, so obviously many don't agree with me.
if you do read it, let me know what you think. and thanks for asking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:22 pm 
WienerWalder

jojo wrote:
reuven,
dear carolyn jumped on this one. she is a very kind person who is a cheerleader for me, which i love!
that being said:
let me give a little warning about my book.
it's full of sex. some might even say "smutty". and religion in general doesn't come off looking so good. (let's just say it's not a piece of religious advocacy.) i am an equal opportunity cynic so it's not just religion that gets slammed. love and societal mores are in for a dig or two as well.
i think it's a good story, but i've heard plenty of complaints, so obviously many don't agree with me.
if you do read it, let me know what you think. and thanks for asking!

It seems to me that you wrote two books.
congratulations!! and may you write and publish many more, and make a lot of money.
if i read one or both- or more, i will review.
and what have you been doing for the past 20 some odd years?
reuven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:41 pm 

i have been bopping around the globe a little bit. i'm not much for having a career, so i've dabbled here and there in nothing very important, but always willing to make a mountain out of a molehill so i have something to write about. that's what writers do, right? exaggerate?
at the moment i'm in washington dc, bunking with a very kind friend who let's me use the back room (as if it were my own) in her house whenever i'm looking for a spot to live, which is frequently.
i've never been to israel. almost got there from Cairo on a 'holy land tour' once, but all hell broke loose and they canceled. i'm looking forward to exploring that area one of these days though.
clearly i don't have children or anything like that, although i do have a dog. he's about the cutest thing ever, and is currently living with my parents in porltand. i'm planning to go visit that whole west coast connection soon, so i'll get to see him shortly.
right now i work at a yoga studio as the business manager which is a really fancy title for "jojo, go get me my lunch!" i get free yoga out of it and lots of chick bonding, which is a ton of fun. obviously it won't last forever. another six weeks and i'll move on. (first to the west coast for a visit, and then...)
i drive a spanky little red car from 1992 which is about the size and weight of a tin can. it's not registered in dc because i can't afford the insurance, so it's sitting at a friend's mom's house in the burbs. (god knows where i'd be in life without all my wonderful friends.) but i'll be driving that tricycle out to oregon and california in june. i love a X country trip. this is a gorgeous country and i never tire of another fresh look at it.
that's me in a nutshell, i think. or not so nutshell?
send your pic to mr bill to post on the board! let us see you and your family all these years later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next