Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: O-Fest Anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:18 pm 
Perlurker

Try this site for a fest in your area. It also has the Munich fest.

http://www.aviso.net/dir/usa/german/eve ... erfest.htm

It’s that time of year again! Can you recall the crisp days of fall approaching, football games at Harlaching and of course the O-Fest. Whether, you took the S2 to the Hauptbahnhof or the tram we all met at the Augustiner tent. Often a good big table was hard to find so we all ended up on the kegs. When the last round was called it was off to the Weiss Bier Keller by the Hauptbahnhof. I am certain many of you have tales to tell let’s hear them. I was there the night the bomb went off but luckily nowhere near the explosion. From what I can recall after a few liters I was in the company of Todd Wright, Mike Kulcsar and Ron Grandle.

732-751-0186

Post subject: O-Fest
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:13 pm 
Poobah

John,

I remember that O-Fest, 1980 in particular. Mike Hoessl and I left via the main entrance about 10 to 15 minutes before the bomb went off. I've got the cancelled tram ticket lying around here someplace with the newspaper stories. Still have that year's poster on the wall down in my basement, too.

Where else could a couple of 16 year olds wander around after ein mass or three, jump on a tram and stumble home?! Outside of the beer and food, the thing I remember most about those O-Fests is the crowds and crowds of people jammed into that space!

Post subject: O'Fest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:51 am 
F-Winger

I will be attending the fest in Munich again this year. This will be my third in a row. I always stop by and look at the memorial because I was there that day as well. By the way, How the heck are you John Zoubra? If you are ever in Vegas, stop by.
Kevin Williams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:37 pm 
Perlurker

Kevin,

"Now you made the big time in the USA"

Can you believe that I am still working for the commissary, got out of meat and became a commissary officer. Yikes all these years …… seems like yesterday in the old meat market chopping out rhymes and cutting meat. I haven’t been the Vegas yet but when I plan a trip I will surely look you up.. It’s great that you followed your dream and do what you love. Are you going to the reunion in DC? I am planning on attending. Hope you have a great time at the O-fest – drink one for me.

732-751-0186

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:06 pm 
F-Winger

John,
Thanks for replying. Yes, I followed my dream and have had a great time doing it. very lucky I guess.
I may attend next year. I am trying to talk my brother into going and Mike Hoessl as well.
So you stayed with the Comissary. I bet at this point you are runnimg them all:)
I will definitely have a beer for you in Munich and I will be hanging with Stefan Cobey for a few days as well. He came to vegas and he and I had a blast.
Take care and great hearing from you.
Kevin

Post subject: First Ofest
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:44 pm 
F-Winger

I remember going to the 81 Ofest my first year in Munich--I remember my dad and Mr. Massarini briefly talking about the bombing the year before but he let me go--Linda Massarini, Siobahn Smith, Sylvia (Wendelkin?) --it was truly a cultural experience! (Especially finding out that those bushes "planted"in front of the official entrance were kind of an alternate WC!) I was a "lightweight" but I think that I handled college a lot better after 3 years in Munich--somehow, those freshman binge parties lacked a certain--ambiance.

Our oldest is turning 16 in Feb and it is truly a different world now- though our family would go back to Europe in a heartbeat if we could!!!

My parents just got back from O'fest (Munich and Stuttgart) and Czech Republic. I find myself thinking about that "When I'm 64" song occasionally with lyrics that include, "traveling all over--who could ask for more?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:32 am 
Mustang!

Ah, yes, the Oktoberfest. Man, I could write a book.

"Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast."
- Bob Dylan