Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: John P. Coulter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:19 pm 
WienerWalder

Friends:

I regret to post on this board the passing of Mr. Coulter. I had been in touch with Mr. Coulter several times since the loss of his son Stefan last year. He had recently been in touch with several students and colleagues from the "old days" and also enjoyed seeing the pictures of the DC reunion.

I know he was having health issues and had told me that he would not be able to attend next years reunion in Dallas, but wanted to send his best to everyone.

On a personal note, Mr, Coulter was one of several people that I consider had a great influence on my life. I enjoyed his classes (6 in three years) and can remember fond times with him and his class. Even though I didn't stay with electronics, he was quick to quiz me on the colors of a resistor when we first spoke after 25 years. Needless to say I failed until he went through it with me again. Now I know I will never forget them.

Rest in peace, Mr. Coulter.

John P. Coulter Jr. (In his beloved Tar Hell Blue )

CATAWBA - John Phillip Coulter Jr., 75, of Catawba, passed away July 19, 2008, at his residence. Born Feb. 5, 1933, in Catawba, he was the son of the late Zella Hollar and John Phillip Coulter Sr. Mr. Coulter graduated from Bunker Hill High School, where he enjoyed playing basketball and tennis. He graduated with the honor of valedictorian of the class. He graduated from Appalachian State Teachers College in 1954 and served in the U.S. Army from 1954 to 1956. He began his teaching career in 1956 in Charlotte at West Mecklenburg High School, where he taught for eight years. After meeting and marrying his wife, Petronella Mayer Coulter, he took a job on the faculty of Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DODDS) and moved to Germany, where he taught all levels of math and science at Munich American High School for 29 years. He was a member of VFW Post 48, and his hobbies included Volksmarching (hiking) in southern Bavaria, traveling to foreign countries and relaxing in the bier gardens, where he loved meeting and talking to people. John Coulter had a gift of communicating with people from all walks of life. He also enjoyed studying history, especially his family chronology, and sharing stories of the past. He was very proud of his family's lineage to Daniel Boone and other early pioneers of this land. He was an accepting and compassionate man who will be greatly missed by all who knew him. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his son, Stefan Philip Coulter. He is survived by his wife, Petronella Mayer Coulter of Grabenstaett, Germany; a son, John Andrew Coulter of Merritt Island, Fla.; a daughter, Lara Christina Coulter of Santa Monica, Calif.; a sister, Gail Moore of Honolulu, Hawaii; a nephew, Jacob Wayne Moore Jr. of Honolulu, Hawaii; a niece, Traci Hackman of Raleigh; an aunt, Alice Lineberger of Morganton; and many cousins. A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2008, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Newton, with Father Jim Collins officiating. Burial will be held in the cemetery at Catawba United Methodist Church. Viewing will be held Saturday morning from 10 to 11 a.m. at Bass-Smith Funeral Home. Memorials may be made to St. Joseph's Catholic Church, 720 W. 13th St., Newton, N.C. 28658. Bass-Smith Funeral Home and Crematory is serving the family of John Phillip Coulter Jr. Online condolences may be left at www.bass-smithfuneralhome.com.

Post subject: Mr. Coulter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:42 am 
Poobah

I was very saddened by this news.

I was lucky enough to chat with him and Stefan shortly before the D.C. reunion in '07. Though his health was failing, Mr. Coulter's voice was exactly the same. He wanted to attend, Stefan was trying to figure out a way to get him up to D.C., but in the end, the trip would have been too much for him.

He'll be missed, no doubt about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:36 pm 
F-Winger

Thanks for posting this. I just posted in a thread with his photo. Sorry to learn he was gone, but at the same time I was surprised to learn that he only recently passed. Frankly, I had assumed that most of my teachers were already gone. Guess he wasn't as old as he might have seemed to me as a teenager!

So long Herr Coulter. We'll miss you.