Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Robin Lyn Munari - Class of 1972
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Robin Lynn Munari, 51, of Mechanicsville died April 22, 2006, at Bayside Care Center in Lexington Park.

Born June 26, 1954, in Fort Leavenworth, Kan., she was the daughter of the late Angelo G. and Joan Walker Munari.

She resided in numerous locations in the United States and Europe during her father’s career in the U.S. Army and graduated from the Munich American High School in June 1972. She received a bachelor of science degree in mathematics from Purdue University in 1977, followed by a post-baccalaureate certificate in information systems in 1987. She completed a master in business administration degree from Florida Institute of Technology in 1993.

She enlisted in the U.S. Navy at Naval Air Facility in Washington, D.C., in September 1989. In 1990 she was transferred to NR ASWOC 0466 in New Orleans, La. From March 1991 until November 1994 she was assigned to NR Naval Space Command 0166 in Dahlgren, Va., as a data processing analyst and technician. From December 1994 until November 1996 she was assigned to NR SPAWAR HQ 0366 as a tactical training division instructor in San Diego, Calif. From December 1996 until November 1998 she returned to NR Naval Space Command 0166 in Dahlgren as an ADP software technician. From December 1998 until September 2001 she was assigned to NR Naval Network Warfare Command Net Eng in Dahlgren as the program’s Webmaster. She continued her duty at the NR Naval Network and Space Operations Command 0266 from September 2001 until October 2005. She was selected as Program 18’s 2004 Sailor of the Year. She retired as a chief petty officer in January 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:15 am 
Wind Up Merchant

I wrote a little about Robin a couple years ago in this thread:
http://munichamericanhs.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=45
(about halfway down, February 2006).

She attempted to start an alumni association for MAHS and had class reps and everything. She even went as far as to incorporate MAHS Alumni as a non-profit corporation in Maryland. I wrote to her in Feb 06 about moving forward with that, if she needed any help. She died shortly after that.

She was obviously very committed to the whole MAHS community idea and tony and I have tried to move forward with an alumni association based on her idea (http://mahsalumni.com/). We've even conscripted Chris Z, but, as you can see, we haven't gotten very far. If anyone else is interested, let us know. I think it would be a fine memorial for Robin.

Post subject: alumni association
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Indeed, Robin was a MAHS'er through and through. She also loved sailing and was a tennis instructor. I had the honor of communicating with her back in 2001 while she was in the process of setting up the Munich American High School Alumni Association. On the morning of 9/11 there was an e-mail from her that said to turn on the t.v. I seldom have the t.v. on. I was in a state of disbelief as well as confusion, watching the coverage not knowing what we were seeing until....

About the MAHS Alumni Association, Mr. Bill, please restate your thoughts on moving forward with this. I'm probably narrow minded, but wouldn't the purpose of the Assoc. be to have a means of unifying our schoolmates and friends? Isn't that what we have with our forum that you, Tony and others have built so lovingly, skillfully and adroitly? We have here a perfect means to inform, share, chat, alert those who come here. There are other sites as well, which you have listed for our information, which may be accessed upon curiosity or inquiry. If we had an alumni association, what would that do to these other websites offering interMustang communication? Convince me and others why we'd need an alumni association. Maybe I don't get it, and you need to explain again. Please, sir...

Post subject: Re: alumni association
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am 
Blue Mud

chrisz80 wrote:
Indeed, Robin was a MAHS'er through and through. She also loved sailing and was a tennis instructor. I had the honor of communicating with her back in 2001 while she was in the process of setting up the Munich American High School Alumni Association. On the morning of 9/11 there was an e-mail from her that said to turn on the t.v. I seldom have the t.v. on. I was in a state of disbelief as well as confusion, watching the coverage not knowing what we were seeing until....

About the MAHS Alumni Association, Mr. Bill, please restate your thoughts on moving forward with this. I'm probably narrow minded, but wouldn't the purpose of the Assoc. be to have a means of unifying our schoolmates and friends? Isn't that what we have with our forum that you, Tony and others have built so lovingly, skillfully and adroitly? We have here a perfect means to inform, share, chat, alert those who come here. There are other sites as well, which you have listed for our information, which may be accessed upon curiosity or inquiry. If we had an alumni association, what would that do to these other websites offering interMustang communication? Convince me and others why we'd need an alumni association. Maybe I don't get it, and you need to explain again. Please, sir...

I agree with Chris. This site covers it all like no other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Well, that's awful nice of you two to say (2 months ago...sorry) but what Robin's vision always seemed to be, and the vision I was thinking of as well, would be uniting the various communities.

By the very nature of our school, MAHS communities are divided up by decades at the far end, and sometimes half-decades at the low end. Our thoughts for this forum have ALWAYS been that everyone is welcomed and everyone is encouraged to be as involved as they wish to be.

That said, the 70s group has an active board elsewhere, as does the mid-sixties group. There are some late 80s boards out there too. That's great, that's where people feel more comfortable, that's how it should be. There's a fair amount of crossover of course, that's great too. I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

That said, a place, or, more accurately, an organization that bridged all these various groups. An HQ where these groups could go and find all the various activities and MAHS-related events/websites/message boards and, perhaps eventually, an organization that could organize these events or at least facilitate other groups in organizing.

An organization that could raise money to facilitate in sponsoring events thereby easing the expense burden the reunion organizers are faced with when starting to organize something. Ask Leon, who just wrapped up the MAHS reunion in Portland, or Billy, who is still in the midst of next year's reunion planning, if something like that wouldn't have helped.

An organization that could act as a clearinghouse for as much MAHS alumni contact info as possible spread over all the decades. It would insure that each reunion committee wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel each time they wanted to plan a reunion. Reunion planning tips would work well there too...I tried something similar at MAHSReunions.com, though it sort of got lost in the reunion planning last year.

More than that, it could be an organization that would allow for a sort of confederation of smaller organizations that share info to build the overall community. Something a little more organized than what exists at the moment. Something lasting.

I think that was Robin's vision when she organized and even legally incorporated an MAHS alumni organization. I happen to think it's a good vision. Worthy of reexamination.

All that said, if I'm the only one who thinks that, then moving forward would be a bit of a foolish venture on my part. (Not that I'm opposed to foolish ventures out of hand) It warms the cockles of my heart that there are those that feel that this board covers the needs of MAHSers, but I think the community could do more to preserve.

I guess that's my restatement of the vision...probably a bit more than what folks were looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:28 am 
Blue Mud

MrBill82 wrote:
I guess that's my restatement of the vision...probably a bit more than what folks were looking for.

Thank you, MB, I have been waiting for this to find out more about what Robin's vision was for this group before I weighed in.

For what it's worth, I think an Alumni Association is an excellent idea. When I first read about it, the first thing I thought of was the Texas A&M Alumni Association, and that this could work something like that, and other College/University alumni associations.

Beyond what Mr. Bill mentioned, it could be a place where MAHS'ers looking for work could come and find out if any other MAHS'ers have, or can help get, work for them. For example, if you are an out of work technical writer, perhaps Mr. Bill knows of a position at his company for you, or someone else knows of someplace hiring tech writers.

Another avenue that could be explored is college scholarships. Money could be raised and a scholarship offered for one of our children and possibly later generations. Also the scope of the scholarship could increase to include any DODDS graduate, possibly even a separate scholarship for that, providing enough money could be raised.

I agree with everyone that this endeavor of Mr. Bill's and Tony's is an excellent location for everyone to touch base with other MAHS alumni; like Mr. Bill said, there are many others. Having an umbrella organization to help keep track of them and everyone would be beneficial.

That's my $.02 worth, thanx for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:00 am 
Wind Up Merchant

jhicks85 wrote:
MrBill82 wrote:

Thank you, MB, I have been waiting for this to find out more about what Robin's vision was for this group before I weighed in.

I do want to point out, I am not speaking for Robin in any way. That is totally what I surmised of her vision from the website, which I went to and used quite often, and some of the things she did (legally incorporating the alumni group for instance).

Quote:
Another avenue that could be explored is college scholarships. Money could be raised and a scholarship offered for one of our children and possibly later generations. Also the scope of the scholarship could increase to include any DODDS graduate, possibly even a separate scholarship for that, providing enough money could be raised.

Something I meant to mention above...i did mention it in the "MAHS Fund" thread...