All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Barbara Blanc
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:28 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

Barbara Blanc - Faculty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:19 pm 
WienerWalder

I had Mrs. Blanc for health. She was always so serious, well it was health. Wasn’t she a former nurse or something? It always surprised me how different teachers can be outside of class.

I remember one day my dad and I went to the AAFES garage to pick up a tire he had dropped off before work. All we needed was to have an inner tube placed in it. It was a Friday afternoon, and the AAFES garage was packed. Mrs. Blanc and her husband were there. I remember pointing her out to my dad as we stood in the service line.

When we finally made it to the front counter and got our tire, my father noticed that the metal portion of the valve stem, on the inner tube, had been freshly spray painted with silver paint. But when he looked at his bill, he’d been charged for a new inner tube. So he asked to speak with the manager. I have to hand it to my dad, he was uncharacteristically polite when he enquired about the spray paint on the valve stem of the inner tube. He had a well deserved reputation for chewing people out. When the manager tried to blow him off… he started to get loud… and she quickly passed him off to the mechanic, by asking him to come out front and explain what he did.

The large German mechanic immediately got defensive, when my dad asked him about the spray paint on the valve stem. An argument ensued, which was fairly tame until the mechanic threatened my father: “If you ever come back here again, I will personally see to it that we work on your car last!” Talk about throwing gasoline on a fire. My father squared off with the much larger man and fired back… the loud and heated exchanged became considerably intense, as both men refused to back down… everything in the AAFES garage stopped!

I kept looking over at Mrs. Blanc, to see how she was taking all of this… Naturally I was afraid of what she might think of me or my father… But Mrs. Blanc was enthralled… as were all of the other customers! It was like Friday Night Fights! I’m sure none of them had seen anything like that before.

So then my dad threatened to leave, but not before announcing his intension to take his tire with him, so he could drop it on General Leedy’s desk!

That’s when the tug-a-war started, as he and mechanic pulled the tire back and fourth between them. By now I was so embarrassed that I wouldn’t even look in Mrs Blanc’s direction. It was funny, in bizarre kind of way. The mechanic finally wrestled the tire away from my dad, and proceeded to walk behind the yellow line which separated the front from the back, with my father following closely behind him. They disappeared into the back but you could still hear them arguing. “You can’t come back here!” the mechanic shouted. “I’m going where ever you take my tire,” my father bellowed. It was about then, in the middle of their heated exchange, when we heard an unfortunate crashing sound followed by a long silence. Mrs. Blanc looked over at me, her mouth gaping and her eyes stretch wide… it sounded like one of them had hit the other with a metal pipe or something.

After a moment or two they started shouting again and we were all relieved, as we knew they were both okay. Mrs. Blanc and her husband had finished their business, but you could tell that she didn’t want to leave. Like several other customers she was anxious to see what was going to happen next. But before they left, she came over to me and whispered, “Let me know what happened on Monday.”

I remember thinking, "She's not nearly as serious as she is in class."

When I think of Mrs. Blanc I remember that day and smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:50 pm 
Mustang!

Only memory I have of her is great and follows me to this day.

I had a health class of hers and she did a semi-meditation to us.

Think you are the piece of paper....boy I was so in peace and relaxed until she crumpled that piece of paper.

Until this day I realize that, life is shaped by the people that you interact with.

As my mother this past October, Barbara, I hope you have found your piece!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:40 pm 
F-Winger

Krugermeister wrote:
Only memory I have of her is great and follows me to this day.

I had a health class of hers and she did a semi-meditation to us.

Think you are the piece of paper....boy I was so in peace and relaxed until she crumpled that piece of paper.

Until this day I realize that, life is shaped by the people that you interact with.

As my mother this past October, Barbara, I hope you have found your piece!

I REMEMBER THAT TOO!!! I wonder if we were in the same class? I think she also taught the CPR class I took.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

i remember mrs. blanc well. i knew her from 3 to 23 and she was a lively, honest, open-hearted woman who went out of her way to make people feel comfortable. she was as sensible as she was sincere, and it was her example as an adult and teacher that first taught me that "live and let live" was a motto worth understanding. i still tell myself to be who i am and take others as they are today, and on those occasions that i need to remind myself of that, i frequently think of her.
i was very sorry to hear that she died. she was a gift to humanity.

Post subject: Friendly greek men
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:31 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

I always remember the story she once told about the overly friendly Greek/Italian men she encountered while traveling there. She said some guy pinched her tush or slapped her there while she walked by. Mrs. Blanc said she turned around, went over the guy and questioned why he'd do that. She said she then asked if the guy would like to have a relationship with her now that they were so rudely introduced and if he wanted to see if they'd work out. The guy ran away! hahahahahaaaa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 am 
Thinking About Getting a Life

excellent story, mike! thanks for that. she was quite a woman.