It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shawn Watkins
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:24 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Shawn Watkins

Post subject: What may have been....
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:03 pm 
When I saw this page, it brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. After 20-ish years....

I had a serious crush on Shawn. Some would call it an obsession. But I never got up the courage to talk to her more than just saying \\\"Hi\\\" to her in the hallway, or to smile at her in class. I never got up the courage to ask her out.

Partly because I knew she wouldn\\\'t have seen me that way. She was a \\\"nice\\\" girl, mild-mannered, and a devout a Christian. I was but a rough tongued, scofflaw pothead who measured most of his friends by how much they could drink.

I remember being proud of her when she made the cheerleading squad. I can close my eyes and see her performance at her first pep rally. See it like it was going on in front of me right now.

It has been 20-ish years since she passed away, and to this day I still think of her often. And wonder. And wish....

Shawn, I still don\\\'t have it in my heart to say goodbye.

Until we meet again....

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:08 pm 
WienerWalder

Shawn was a lovely and beautiful person and it was a big loss to those that knew her. I would say it made alot of us think as she was "our age" (in my case even younger than me)-very young, much too young, to die. Still brings a lump to the throat.

Julie '86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:29 pm 
Blue Mud

At great risk of opening any painful wounds, may I ask the circumstances of her passing?

Post subject: Shawn's Memorial Stone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 am 
Poobah

Hey everyone,

Many of you may have seen posts from "Martin in Munich". Martin lives in the old Perlacher housing area and has a daughter that attends the school that once was the MAHS complex. He is the eyes and ears for what's going on in the place many of us called home.

He wrote me today and sent some pics of a memorial stone he found in the housing area. It looks to be about a foot square, and simply has Shawn Watkins' name inscribed on the stone. He sent pics and I've talked to Mr. Bill about getting them posted when he has a chance. If anyone would like to see the pics before they get posted, drop me a line and I'll email them off to you.

I didn't know Shawn, she passed years after I left, but I thought it was great Martin found the stone and shared that her memory lives on in Perlacher, even after 21 years. If anyone would like to share or remembers the details about how the stone got there, etc. Please feel free.

Tony

Post subject: I remeber the stone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:37 pm 
Mustang!

When she died her brother C.P.Watkins class of 86 attended MAHS also so the student body wanted to place a memorial for her while he was still attended MAHS. I vaguely remember the cermony but it was placed in 86 I believe. C.P. Watkins would be able to tell you more and I don't know where he is lost touch after graduation. He was our class president.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:23 pm 
WienerWalder

I was in contact with him about 9 years ago, his email address is on the other Munich website, or it was a couple of years ago. I may have his snail mail address somewhere too if anyone is interested.

Susie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:37 pm 
F-Winger

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
At great risk of opening any painful wounds, may I ask the circumstances of her passing?

She was diabetic. What I had heard (but never asked CP to confirm) was that she didn't take enough of her meds with her and went into a coma on the trip back from the U.S. I also heard CP was with her when it happened.

But my knowledge is admittedly second or third hand. I did attend the memorial ceremony at the local chappel. Half the school (or more) was there. I knew Shawn, but wasn't real close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Julie Medcalf sent in the program to Shawn's memorial ceremony that she said she found recently. She thought it would be a nice addition to her memorial here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:37 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Also, i've been meaning to post this since the summer...Martin Munich sent in this pic of Shawn's memorial stone in the housing area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:40 pm 
F-Winger

Wasn't there a tree planted with at the same time?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:08 pm 
Perlurker

This is so wierd. I was jsut talking about Shawn yesterday becasue my mom ran into CP and his family at her church in Sierra Vista AZ. I have all his POC info. I was planning to talk to him this weekend, I will tall him about he website, and most definately the stone. I am sure his family will be amazed that it is still there. Shawn was a cheerleader with me and stayed at my house when ever we had a home game. Try as I might, I never could corrupt her - she was a w :shock: onderful person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:47 pm 
Mustang!

Does anyone know exactly where the stone is? I go to Munich about once a month to visit my Mom and sister (who also lives in the old housing area), and I would like to go see it.

"Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast."
- Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:38 pm 
Poobah

Hey Jim, try Martin Munich, on this board. He lives in Perlacher today and has been our resident "arms and legs" with a camera for the place today. His daughter goes to school in the old MAHS building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:55 pm 
Mustang!

Thanks, Tony, I'll ask him.

"Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast."
- Bob Dylan