Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mr. Dick Smith
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:06 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

Dick Smith, English teacher

One of the few regrets I have in my life is that in 1991, while in Munich for a short visit, I didn't go by MAHS and see some of the teachers who influenced me, particularly Mr. Smith. I figured I would catch them on the next trip...well, Mr. Smith died and the school closed before I got a chance to get back. His method of digging into the text with his classes and his enthusiasm over nearly any topic I ever brought to him (I signed up for his humanities class simply because he was teaching it) was as big an influence on me as anything else in my life. I majored in English due in large part to him and the other teachers at MAHS and I make my living today as a writer. I credit him with a large part of that and I suppose that should be gratitude enough.

I still wish I could have said thank you though.

I don't have any dates for him, so if anyone knows them, please post it on this thread.

Post subject: Dick Smith
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:58 pm 
Perlurker

Mr. Smith was my father-in-law, as I married his son, Kevin Smith (MAHS 79). Mr. Smith would've really been flattered by all the nice words about him. He was a wealth of info and truly loved teaching. He passed away in May 1992 in Houston TX, the same night Johnny Carson signed off for the last time.

Deanna Kelley-Smith (MAHS 82)

Post subject: Re: Dick Smith
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:28 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

Deanna Kelley-Smith wrote:
Mr. Smith was my father-in-law, as I married his son, Kevin Smith (MAHS 79). Mr. Smith would've really been flattered by all the nice words about him. He was a wealth of info and truly loved teaching.

I think that showed at every class. I got the feeling that some of the folks in the class didn't "get" him sometimes but I thought his text analysis was incredible. He introduced me to some of my favorite writers (Kurt Vonnegut) and some of my favorite works (JD Salinger short stories...I wrote a HUGE grad school paper on Salinger's Glass family and wished the whole time that Mr. Smith was still around because he knew so much about them it would have made the job MUCH easier! Indeed, I picked the topic because of our discussions.)

I've also got a couple good memories of him picking me up hitching in Perlacher once and we ended up chatting about books for about an hour and then one night when I ran into him and Mr. Coulter at the McGraw bowling alley having a couple of beers. I went over to say a quick "hi" and they ended up asking me to stay and we talked for nearly two hours.

Quote:
He passed away in May 1992 in Houston TX, the same night Johnny Carson signed off for the last time.

you know...and I'm being serious here, I always thought he looked a bit like Carson...I remember saying that to him once.

I'm glad a member of his family was able to read this since I missed my chance to thank him personally.

Post subject: Mr. Smith
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:36 pm 
Mr. Smith lived directly below us when we first moved to Munich. I got to know him well. He was very funny. He and my father became good friends. My father is from Louisiana,and Mr. Smith always wanted to write a book on a translation of the words my dad used. When those two were together it was comical.He will always be remembered by the Williams family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:48 pm 
Mustang!

Mr. Bill is right, I was one of those who didn't Mr. Smith all of the time, But I apprecitated his passion for teaching. I will remember him fondly.
Eric L.82

P.S. Sorry about snoring in your class Mr. Smith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:38 pm 
Perlurker

He was the first teacher to get me interested in Social Studies when he taught it briefly... Kinda influenced my current style. Thanks Mr Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:00 pm 
I, too, was very sad to hear that Mr. Smith had passed.

I always remember him fondly. He treated his students like people and I would like to think I treated him as a person to and not just as my teacher.

klbutenko
class of '79

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:41 pm 
Mustang!

Mr. Smith -
taught me alot about life !
Thought of him often while " growing older ".
never forgot him
and won't forget him.
" ein ganz toller Mensch und ein super Lehrer "
Thank you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:23 pm 
Mustang!

Mr. Smith was a great English teacher with a great sense of humor. I always enjoyed his classes, and like Mr. Bill, he turned me on to Kurt Vonnegut. I'll never forget him lamenting the fact that everyone mispronounces his daughter Siobhan's name.

"Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast."
- Bob Dylan

Post subject: Re: Mr. Dick Smith
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 am 
Perlurker

I had Mr. Smith for sophomore English in the '75-'76 school year, which was lamentably my last at MAHS. I believe his eldest son Sean was in that class, too. That had to be awkward but neither one of them showed it. I remember Mr. Smith as being both passionate and exuberant with a smidge of evocativity thrown in. There are two things I will always remember about his class.
On the very first day, when all teachers give their "this is how my class will run" spiels, he got to the "in case of a fire alarm" part, and he started to point at the door, but then looked around the room at us and said something like, "Oh Hell. Just follow me, because I guarantee you that I will get my butt out of here before it catches on fire." I knew at that moment he would be one of my favorite teachers even though I loathed reading only slightly less than writing at the time.
The other was the fact that anyone could nulify all remaing class time by steering Mr. Smith onto the topic of sex. He even used the chalkboard to illustrate on occaision. I'm sure it was he who drew the graph comparing the arousal and climax time series for males v. females. The man had a gift and he used it to share any and every fragment of his knowledge with you.
The world is diminished by his passing, but is far greater for his presence while it lasted.

Thanks for listening,
Mike Collins