Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lee Phillips
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:47 am 
Wind Up Merchant

The only details I know are sketchy. His sister Melinda told me that Lee died in a car accident involving a deer once he was stateside. Beyond that, I have no other information. I'm hoping Melinda will join the board.

I knew Lee from nearly the moment I got to Munich because I was friends with his sister and interacted with him for all of my three years there. He was interesting guy and I liked him a lot. He was funny, loyal to his friends, and a passionate guy when it came to things he felt strongly about. He and I butted heads as many times as we traded jokes and I remember him fondly.

Post subject: Lee Philips
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:04 pm 
Perlurker

Lee and I were great friends!! I was shocked and saddened when I heard of his death. I was still in Munich when I found out. After all these years, he is still missed and remembered!! Danielle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:44 pm 
WienerWalder

I remember a conversation with Melinda way back when I was in school at Virginia Tech. She was attending Sweet Briar near Martinsville. I believe Lee was tragically killed in a car accident up near Dulles? It was devastating to the family as you would expect. I lost track of Melinda through college.

Post subject: Lee Phillips
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:25 am 
Thanks to everyone who remembered my brother Lynam (aka Lee). It seems like yesterday and it seems like forever. I still expect to see him walk in the door or give me a hard time about something. It saddens me to know that he never met my husband, never held any of my children and doesn't know the happiness I have in my life. Lee was a special kind of person, a diamond in the rough... taken too soon.

Thanks for remembering.

Melinda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:45 pm 
WienerWalder

Lee was a good friend of mine in Munich. We worked on a few projects together in Mr.Porters class. One of them was the "welding platform/grinding room" When the project was completed,Don Kunsman welded our initials into the middle cross beam.
DK LP DP. That structure stands today as a reminder of our hardwork and friendship.

David Penrod '84

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:43 am 
F-Winger

I remember Lee always had a big smile on his face, usually 'cause he was up to something crazy. He made sure I would never forget him by signing almost every page of my yearbook (not that he could ever be forgotten). He was dating Marie Christman, who was one of my best friends then along with Barbara Pedersen, Pam Burley and others. We all had the best time in Greece on springbreak. I still have a great picture of him and Marie in Athens. He was like a big brother to me and I will never forget his smile. He was always so full of life and he will always be remembered.

Cindi Tumbleson Coyle '86

Last edited by cinditumbleson on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:47 pm 
Mustang!

I have so many pictures of Lee, Marie, Cindi, and Bret Young on that Greece trip. He was so entertaining, especially with the numchucks! I remember I received the news of his death in front of the movie theater one evening. I had lost touch with friends through so many moves, but he was the first I lost due to tragedy. It's still hard to believe someone that full of life is no longer with us.

Barbara Pedersen '86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:33 pm 
F-Winger

I was also shocked when I foiund out that Lee had died. I think it was shortly after returning to the states. I have to admit I had a crush on him. He was very cute.

Post subject: Lee
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:26 pm 
Perlurker

Mr. Bill said it perfectly in his comment about Lee being funny, loyal, and passionate. It was all these things and more that I loved so much about him.

He and I were going to join forces in creating a video game; cowboy shoot-em up type theme. He would design the game and I would enter the code, HA! And, Dave, I was in that auto class with you all. I remember the joy rides to the junk yard with Lee to pickup the steel beams to be used in the welding area.

I think of Lee often and miss him very much.

--Dianne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:28 pm 
WienerWalder

Hey Diane,

Yes, you were in Mr. Porters class during the BUILD.
I had a different term for the supply runs to the junk yard. DEMOLITION DERBY!!!
We destroyed the V W bug and a few other things. Of course Lee was doing the driving, I was just the muscle in case we got stopped.

David Penrod

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:55 pm 
Perlurker

I remember Lee driving a stationwagon to pickup the beams and every time he turned a corner or slammed on the brakes, the beams would start sliding out the open back end with ME ON TOP OF THEM!! Demolition Derby is RIGHT!!

Post subject: lee philips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 pm 
Perlurker

lee was a funny dude...he was a good friend.he knew the meaning of a friendship..heaven must have in a need for a joker.......bill michaels class of 83

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:17 am 
One of my lasting memories from my time in Germany was a graduation trip I took with Lee Phillips and Mike Weisneth to LeMans, France to watch the 24 hour race. My dad let us take his 1975 BMW 2002....(what was he thinking??) On the way there we consumed a whole box of twinkies while lost in Paris at midnight with AC/DC blasting on the stereo. Finally we arrived at LeMans in the early morning, pissing off some Brits camped next to us, while trying to set up our tent in the dark. The trip home was no less exciting; driving accross France at about 110mph, the tread blew clean off the left rear tire, and the spare was buried under all of our crap in the trunk.....Of course the high speed driving killed our fuel economy, so we found ourselves drafting tour buses to conserve gas because we didn't have any money left to re-fuel. Good times!

Lee and I managed to have a few other "adventures" with automobiles, not the least of which would have gotten us thrown out of Germany if not for the fact we were leaving anyway. He ended up stateside a month or two before I did. Our families moved to the Washington, DC metropolitain area and we were about 45 minutes away from each other, he was in Virginia, I was in Maryland.

When Lee moved back, his father had a custom MG Midget waiting for him. We had big plans to do some road rally racing with it, and when I moved back to the states we got together and started planning our career in motorsports.....In mid-October 1985 we were scheduled to enter our first rally and Lee was coming to stay at our house for that weekend. My mom picked me up from work (I didn't have my own wheels yet!) and we stopped at the grocery store on the way home. Lee was coming over, so I figured mom wanted to pick some things up, but she was taking her time and Lee was supposed to be there soon. When I told her we needed to hurry because Lee would be over soon, her face dropped. She said Lee wasn't coming. I asked her why, and she said he was in an accident. When I asked if he was allright, she told me he had died...I held it together until I got off the phone with the Phillips' after they asked me to be one of the pall bearers at the funeral. I guess that was when the finality of everything hit me all at once. It was tough news to take.

I was told there were deer hoof prints near the scene of the accident, so it was believed Lee must have swerved to avoid hitting the deer on his way home that night, and went off the road. It was a heavily wooded country back road in Virginia, and apparently he hit some trees pretty hard. His dad told me he put our photos from the LeMans trip with Lee at the funeral.

I missed him a lot. We had many good times in Germany, and many more planned for the U.S. I kept in touch with Mr. & Mrs. Phillips for years following Lee's passing. I would visit them around the anniversary of Lee's death, and we would get caught up on family news. It's been a while now since I've made the trip out that way, I think I'll have to head that way soon.

--Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 am 
Perlurker

This post made me cry. Lee was my first boyfriend...my first prom...I remember hiding behind the sofa talking for hours with him on the phone. I remember our trip to Greece and how much fun we had with Barbara, Cindy, Brent, and everyone else. I know exactly which pictures you're talking about, Cindy & Barbara! He was a top notch martial artist. I remember how devastated I was to hear about his death. Barbara, I think I was with you in front of the theater when we heard about it.

He was a wonderful person and heaven is a better place for him being there. He was destined for great things in this World and its a crying shame he was taken too soon.

Post subject: lee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:33 pm 
Perlurker

i remember putting that platform together,..........i miss him