Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reuven Koss
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:05 am 
Wind Up Merchant

A NOW pic from Reuven...sorry it's taken me a while to get it posted Reuven.

Post subject: Re: Reuven Koss
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:40 pm 
WienerWalder

MrBill82 wrote:
A NOW pic from Reuven...sorry it's taken me a while to get it posted Reuven.

it's fine.

the picture is taken at the mcdonalds in netivot where i work as rabbinical supervisor.
i hope to send pics of my wife and kids in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:45 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Rueven

That very interesting...it never occurred to me that there would be a rabbinical supervisor at a fast food restaurant, but of course it makes sense. I'm assuming that you are responsible for keeping the place kashrut, no? That seems like it would be exceedingly difficult. I see on the menu behind you in your picture that there are dairy products. How is that handled since someone could literally be sitting right next to you having an ice cream while you're eating a meal...practically the same meal...or is it not as strict as I'm imagining? Are you a rabbi or a lay person with rabbinical training?

All silly questions I'm sure, but I'm very curious. I actually have a minor in Judaic studies...but the knowledge is less practical in the real world since most of my knowledge ends in April of 73 CE. Too much academia, not enough real world. I'm the first to admit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:19 pm 
WienerWalder

MrBill82 wrote:
Rueven

That very interesting...it never occurred to me that there would be a rabbinical supervisor at a fast food restaurant, but of course it makes sense. I'm assuming that you are responsible for keeping the place kashrut, no? That seems like it would be exceedingly difficult. I see on the menu behind you in your picture that there are dairy products. How is that handled since someone could literally be sitting right next to you having an ice cream while you're eating a meal...practically the same meal...or is it not as strict as I'm imagining? Are you a rabbi or a lay person with rabbinical training?

All silly questions I'm sure, but I'm very curious. I actually have a minor in Judaic studies...but the knowledge is less practical in the real world since most of my knowledge ends in April of 73 CE. Too much academia, not enough real world. I'm the first to admit it.

good eyesight- and the questions are not silly- they are very good. a bullseye- hit the nail on the head
to my right-the left of the picture one can partially see a door-in there is the dairy section where the ice ream and coffee are prepared.
there is a mechitza- a separation (a small wall) that is not seen in the picture separating the meat and dairy eating areas. the division in the eating areas is unique to netivot branch of mcdonalds.

i have semicha- rabbinical ordination, so i am a rabbi but not a pulpit rabbi. i took a course in kashrut supervision.

may i ask why you took a course in judaic studies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:11 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

ruvkoss85 wrote:
to my right-the left of the picture one can partially see a door-in there is the dairy section where the ice ream and coffee are prepared.

Coffee? Because of the use of cream or is it also not supposed to be mixed?

Quote:
there is a mechitza- a separation (a small wall) that is not seen in the picture separating the meat and dairy eating areas. the division in the eating areas is unique to netivot branch of mcdonalds.

So, serious question even though it sounds like I'm being willfully obtuse: would patrons change areas if they were to order a dairy based dessert or is it just not done?

Quote:
i have semicha- rabbinical ordination, so i am a rabbi but not a pulpit rabbi. i took a course in kashrut supervision.

Very interesting that there's a field devoted to that. But I guess with any dietary laws there would have to be those that "enforce" them or, probably more likely, insure they're maintained. Very interesting.

Ok, here's a really stupid question. Does using the touch screen cash register in front of you in that picture count as pushing buttons the way an older cash register would? Would Shabbat goyem be needed or would the touch screen allow anyone to do it on the Shabbat? Or, more likely now that I've actually thought about it, you're closed on the Shabbat, right?

Quote:

Six courses actually for the minor. Foundation stories of western civilization. Regardless of if you believe them or not, there's no denying that these are the stories the shaped the culture. So, most of my judaic studies were literature based:

The Tanakh as a whole, and then individual classes on the Torah, Nevi'im, and Ketuvim, and two part History of the Jews class. I liked the professor who taught those, he was also a Rabbi, with a congregation in the city...fairly well known apparently....one of the funniest people I ever met...and he gave me one of my first writing jobs writing for a publication of his, The Menorah Review. Just a book review, and I got paid in copies, but it was the first real stuff I ever had in print.

I sort of stumbled into the minor in the same way I stumbled into my other majors. My first major was english (well, not really, it was actually my third major, but the other two were false starts...at 18 I was FAR to young to make that decision...) and after I knocked out my euro and american requirements I headed east for my literature (how do you NOT register for a class called "Erotic Chinese Literature"? -- at least, that was my argument to my dad, who had a nice stash of erotic literature of his own).

Naturally, most of the really good texts in that part of the world were philosophical/religious texts so, after I finished my literature requirements I started taking philosophy/religious studies classes. Found a professor I liked and started taking all his eastern thought classes. When those finished, I started on his religious text classes. Next thing you know I was a Religious Studies major and, as I moved west i ended up in the Ancient Near East after a while and that had me hanging around the area that was a veritable hotbed of world religions...so lots of classes on the pre-Abrahamic cultures, the Sumerians, the Egyptians, the Hebrews, early Christianity, early Islam a few hundred years later...always tended to focus on the early stuff...the historical stuff...tons of religious studies classes which netted me the Judaic studies minor mentioned above as well as the major.

Most of the religious studies classes for that area of the world were ALSO history classes [the G-d of Abraham is the G-d of history...right? That's what "my" rabbi taught me anyway :) ] , so when I did all the sorting out of majors and minors I had like 7 classes that were both RST/HIST left over and since I didn't need any more RST classes, I was like three classes short of a history major. I had a language requirement to fulfill that last semester so I took three more history classes for the history major...but most of the "history" in my history major was when the years still had three digits (at MOST!) and everyone spoke some relative of Aramaic...

So, was that about the longest, most boring answer ever? I thought your question required more than just "they're nice stories." You already know they're good stories. Sorry to clog up the board with my life story there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:57 am 
WienerWalder

MrBill82 wrote:
ruvkoss85 wrote:

Coffee? Because of the use of cream or is it also not supposed to be mixed?

Quote:

So, serious question even though it sounds like I'm being willfully obtuse: would patrons change areas if they were to order a dairy based dessert or is it just not done? bach strasse

Quote:

Very interesting that there's a field devoted to that. But I guess with any dietary laws there would have to be those that "enforce" them or, probably more likely, insure they're maintained. Very interesting.

Ok, here's a really stupid question. Does using the touch screen cash register in front of you in that picture count as pushing buttons the way an older cash register would? Would Shabbat goyem be needed or would the touch screen allow anyone to do it on the Shabbat? Or, more likely now that I've actually thought about it, you're closed on the Shabbat, right?

Quote:

Six courses actually for the minor. Foundation stories of western civilization. Regardless of if you believe them or not, there's no denying that these are the stories the shaped the culture.
So, was that about the longest, most boring answer ever? I thought your question required more than just "they're nice stories." You already know they're good stories. Sorry to clog up the board with my life story there.

regarding the coffee- i should have been more specific- it is an expresso machine which is therefore dairy.

regarding the dairy dessert- jewish law prohibits dairy after meat. nonjewish and those who don't know/care should/do then switch sections.

regarding the touch screen you are correct that it would be a problem to use it on shabbat,- we are closed.
In Munich my father and I used to go to the "local" synagogue on shabbat morning- it is located on reichenbach str.- the second right after the isar (we walked straight with the strassebahn (7/27) till we hit reichenbach str). there is a small kosher resteraunt there that did business after services. the owners had a card for each person and would mark off with paper clips what was ordered. another way is to order before shabbat. that is /was done in restaraunts in places with large jewish concentrations so singles, widowers,visitors... could have a place to eat without having to pay on shabbat.

regarding your courses-being that i didn't go to college, it was quite interesting. and it is the basis for western civilization

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:15 am 
Blue Mud

Reuven, great pic!! Good to see you again!

I like the beard, I wish I could grow one like that, but neither my wife nor work would appreciate it much.

ruvkoss85 wrote:
i took a course in kashrut supervision

So here comes another dumb question. Based on what you have said before about your job and what is in this thread, kashrut is very similar to, or the same as, kosher. So, why the difference in the words? I'm guessing it's a language thing with kashrut being the actual Hebrew word. If so, then what is kosher?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:15 am 
WienerWalder

jhicks85 wrote:
Reuven, great pic!! Good to see you again!

Even though I am still using the net for 10 years it still amazes me what one is able to do with it.

jhicks85 wrote:
I like the beard, I wish I could grow one like that, but neither my wife nor work would appreciate it much.

It comes with the job :lol:

jhicks85 wrote:
ruvkoss85 wrote:
i took a course in kashrut supervision

So here comes another dumb question. Based on what you have said before about your job and what is in this thread, kashrut is very similar to, or the same as, kosher. So, why the difference in the words? I'm guessing it's a language thing with kashrut being the actual Hebrew word. If so, then what is kosher?

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Actually the word "kosher appears in the bible in the book of Esther, not refering to food, but rather "if it is right before the king" (8:5)-trans from the hebrew. But today, and for a long time kosher has referred to "kosher food." kashrut is the basically same word but grammatically used slightly different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:06 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

great pic, reuven! like jon said: very good to see you again. your mcdonalds sounds downright interesting. i don't generally eat much fast food, but i'd be into going into yours. a cultural outing and cappuccino.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:59 pm 
WienerWalder

jojo wrote:
great pic, reuven! like jon said: very good to see you again. your mcdonalds sounds downright interesting. i don't generally eat much fast food, but i'd be into going into yours. a cultural outing and cappuccino.

mcdonalds a cultural outing?
If you -or anyone makes it down here, I will give you a real cultural outing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 pm 

i'd love to hit that part of the world, so expect me at some point in time. (not too distant i hope...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:31 am 
WienerWalder

jojo wrote:
i'd love to hit that part of the world, so expect me at some point in time. (not too distant i hope...)

I am waiting for you- or for that matter anyone who comes. all are welcome.
there is good cus cus and shakshuka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am 

the food is wonderful. not the least of the draw, i'm sure. i will give you fair warning before i show up, reuven.