Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:51 am 
Blue Mud

chrisz80 wrote:
Hey, Jon
Somewhere on the forum, i began reading about your experiences coming to the States from Munich, as prompted by Jojo.

You are a great writer, along with being a gardener, a computer geek, and an engineer/mathmatician! OMG, what a treasure you are! Further, like jojo pointed out, you are a "relationship guy", there are far and few between of those in the country/world!!!! And, I may add, quite of few
of them hang around this forum! P-shaw! :)

Another reason Jon is a treasure:
He does the chores with his wife! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 am 
Blue Mud

chrisz80 wrote:
As for Aggieland v. Austin, I think the city of Austin has a lot of variety to offer. Both are great schools. Can't wait to hear your feedback, even though, you know, you will be biased! :wink:

Yes, I am a little biased. 8)

Austin is a very liberal city, I'm not sure if that's because t.u. is, or if it's because it's the state capital, or if the university is because the city is, or some combination thereof. I have heard people who have been to Berkely compare Austin and t.u. favorably to it and Cal. Aggieland is much more conservative, a traditional values type of environment.

One of the greatest things about A&M are the traditions. Typically everyone says Howdy! to each other (yes, that is why I do it). The greatest tradition was Bonfire ( :cry: ) which still exists as a shadow of itself (if you hear someone talking about Bonfire, you know you're talking to an Old Ag). Aggie Muster, which is where all Aggies gather on April 21st to remember those who have passed in the last year. Wherever Aggies are, they meet for Muster, even during wartime. There are famous pictures of Musters during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and no doubt there will be some of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars as well. Silver Taps: whenever a current student dies, there is a ceremony where all lights on campus are turned off (students who don't attend are supposed to close their blinds), and everyone gathers at the Academic building where on the roof are 4 or 6 trumpeters with silver trumpets who play a special arrangement of Taps. A very moving experience. Yells and the Yell Leaders, you've seen them on TV, I'm sure. A great tradition is Fish Camp. Incoming freshmen (fish) spend a week with Aggies learning about all of the traditions and make new friendships prior to starting school. I loved it when I went. The Corps of Cadets: no other school, outside the academies, produces more officers for our armed forces. No school, outside the academies, has more Congressional Medal of Honor recipients (7). The Corps isn't easy, but as a fish, you are required to spend a certain amount of time each night studying. If you are having trouble, they get you help.

Academics-wise, if your daughter wants to be an engineer, a vet, or a meteorologist, I would not consider anyplace else. Ok, if she wants to be a vet or a meteorologist, there's no other school to go to in Texas. The engineering school is the best in the state. Even if you get a 2.0 GPA (not that I expect her to do that, just an example), you will be hired by someone because your degree is from A&M. It is the only Petroleum Engineering school in the state. The business school is getting better and is ranked fairly close to t.u. now, I think.

Extracurriclar activities are abundant. There were many cultural clubs and groups when I was there, and I'm sure there are more now, and they all sponsor multiple events throughout the year. There is intramural sports. Of course, there are all the varsity sports events to attend as well.

I'm a little concerned that you think the t.u. campus is big. If that is the case, you will be overwhelmed by the A&M campus. It is 11,000 acres. The are that includes the the vast majority of housing, academic, and other buildings is approximately 2 mi. x 1 mi. in area. When I was there, I had no trouble walking from class to class, even when I had a class on West Campus on the other side of the railroad tracks. I don't think I could do it now, though.

All in all, I had a great 5 years there (yep, five years; I changed majors and only took more than 12 hours one semester) and I wouldn't change it for a thing. There is a lot of Aggieland in me.

Hope that helps some, I think I might do better with specific questions. If y'all have any, don't hesitate to click my email button and email them to me. If you didn't know it already here is the A&M website:

http://www.tamu.edu

Gig 'Em Ags!!

Last edited by jhicks85 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 pm 
Blue Mud

jhicks85 wrote:
No school, outside the academies, has more Congressional Medal of Honor recipients (7).

Fixed it for you. :wink:

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 pm 
Blue Mud

ralphdsmith84 wrote:
jhicks85 wrote:
No school, outside the academies, has more Congressional Medal of Honor recipients (7).

Fixed it for you. :wink:

:oops:
I thank you sir, I have edited the post appropriately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:36 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Jon,
Thanks for your excellent input! I did know about some of the special things you brought up, but nothing more than an inkling!
A road trip to Aggieland is going to be coming up very soon!

I'll be in touch by e-mail as questions come to me; thanks for offering to answer!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm 
Blue Mud

A couple of articles about Aggies sent to me by another Aggie:

http://www.newtoncitizen.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=3100&SectionID=8&SubSectionID=&S=1

http://www.newtoncitizen.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&subsectionID=8&articleID=3182