Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MAHS WRESTLING
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:34 pm 
WienerWalder

IF YOU HAVE EVER TRIED THIS SPORT OR EVER WATCHED A MATCH, THIS WILL BE A GREAT PLACE TO ADD YOUR THOUGHTS.

COACH TED WAS BY FAR THE BEST COACH MAHS EVER HAD!!!!
GOODWIN AND THE PUMKINPOUNDER COACH NEVER HAD A CHANCE NEXT TO HIM.
MR. BUTLER,BY THE WAY COULD HAVE TAUGHT TEDDY THE FINER POINTS. AND THE GIRLS SOCCER COACH MR. MANUEL WERE FANTASTIC IN THEIR OWN WAYS.
POUND FOR POUND COACH TED DID IT THE RIGHT WAY!
HE REALLY CARED!!!
FOR SOME OF YOU READING THIS, MIGHT THINK THAT I AM OFF BASE,
YEAH FOR YOU!! PUT YOURSELF IN OUR SHOES.
RUN THE STAIRS,DO THE WEIGHT ROOM,TRY LOSING WEIGHT IN 5 HOURS. NO COACH HAS EVER INSPIRED ME MORE TO DO MY BEST THAN COACH TED. I AM NOW A COACH, NOT FOR WRESTLING BUT FOR LACROSSE.
MY TEAMS HAVE NOT LOST A GAME IN SIX YEARS. GRANTED IT IS ONLY MIDDLE SCHOOL LACROSSE IN FLORIDA, BUT THESE KIDS GET IT.
I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD COACHES AND SOME VERY BAD PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING.
COACH TED DID NOT CARE ABOUT THE POLITICAL POINT OR WINS VS. LOSSES. HE CARED ABOUT HIS "PLAYERS".
TWENTY PLUS YEARS LATER, HE IS NOW ASKING US(HIS TEAM) TO SHARE WITH HIM, WHAT HE TAUGHT US.
I AM TELLING HIM IN A PUBLIC FORUM, WHAT HE TAUGHT ME.
CARE FOR YOUR TEAM MATES, RESPECT THE RULES AND CHIN DROP ANYBODY WHO STANDS IN YOUR WAY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:39 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Dave
I dont remember wrestling but I do remember how hard you use to hit during football practice exspecially during the meat grinder drill. Hope you and yours are all doing well..

Billy

http://www.mahsreunion.myevent.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Dave - Congrats on having a great team and obviously being a great coach! I used co-coach a national freestyle point sparring team for many years. We had a great bunch of kids and adults, many of them ranking tops on the national circuit (my son included). After taking about five years off, I am now back in the studio and have a new bunch of students (much smaller school and group). We went to our first local tournament recently and I took four fighters with me. They took three first places and a fourth place. I am very proud of them and they too are proud of themselves! Coaching is a very rewarding and fun job! Every once in awhile I run into some of my old students and it's great to see how they've grown up. I wish you the best of luck in everything you do!

-Lisa
Class of '84

Post subject: wrestling manager..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:34 pm 
Mustang!

Dave,

You couldn't have said it any better..!! The work and drive it took from everyone was tremendous..! Take care, and tell Sylvia hi from me..and yourself stranger...

A former wrestling manager...and buddy...Danielle "86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:31 pm 
WienerWalder

AFTER 200 PLUS VIEWERS, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SUPPORTERS OF GOODWIN AND THE PUMPKINPOUNDER COACH.

WHAT, YOU HAVE NO FEELINGS FOR THESE TWO INDIVIDUALS OR AM I CORRECT IN MY THINKING.

WHO HAS THE TESTOSTERONE TO SPEAK IN THEIR FAVOR? AND WHY?

COACH BUTLER AND COACH MANUEL ARE STILL RANKED VERY HIGH WITH THE SCHOOL ALUMNI FOR BEING GREAT HUMANS AND FANTASTIC COACHES.

GOODWIN AND WILLETT, WHAT HAVE THEY EVER DONE FOR YOU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 pm 
Blue Mud

Who's "the pumpkin pounder" coach?

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:58 am 
Perlurker

Why the bashing on the old coaches/teachers? What purpose does that serve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 pm 
WienerWalder

SHEBA,
Because you are new to this site, I will not go into the whys and the hows.
I will give you time to read the posts that are our past. Why bash?
Why not!!!!!
After all these years, they still SUCK!!!!
I coach and I play the game that I coach, goodwin and willet still don't know the games that they "coached".
SHEBA, read the posts and think about your comment.
I have just one question. What year(s) were you in MUNICH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:19 pm 
Perlurker

Hi Dave,

I'm actually not new to this site - I have just never joined.

And yes, I've read all the posts and again, I ask - Why bash? It serves no purpose other than to cause unnecessary hurt. Teachers read these sites too, you know.

So, in your opinion, maybe they weren't the best coaches or teachers. Dave, it was high school!!! Over 20 years ago!!! I doubt anyone has any long term lasting affects. Time to get over it! Live and let live, ect...

Oh, and by the way, Dave - I was in Munich a lot longer than you were. I was born in the hospital across the street from the high school in 1966 and grauduated from MAHS in 1985.

--Siobhan

P.S. Tell Sylvia hi

Post subject: Coaching
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:30 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Sio85 wrote:
Hi Dave,

I'm actually not new to this site - I have just never joined.

And yes, I've read all the posts and again, I ask - Why bash? It serves no purpose other than to cause unnecessary hurt. Teachers read these sites too, you know.

So, in your opinion, maybe they weren't the best coaches or teachers. Dave, it was high school!!! Over 20 years ago!!! I doubt anyone has any long term lasting affects. Time to get over it! Live and let live, ect...

Oh, and by the way, Dave - I was in Munich a lot longer than you were. I was born in the hospital across the street from the high school in 1966 and grauduated from MAHS in 1985.

--Siobhan

P.S. Tell Sylvia hi

Siobhan,

We bring this up because this is a high school site. As a football coach myself, I realize how poor the coaches were for high school. Penrod and I both came from big sport high schools before coming to Munich so we knew the difference. As coaches some 20 years later, we see how glaringly inadequate the coaching was at MAHS. I taught my 11-14 year old football players this past season more than I ever learned at MAHS. I had to learn it when I played football in the college ranks.

I guess we should be grateful that anyone was willing to stand up and take on the task of coaching. They could have been home with their families instead of directing a bunch of snot-nosed kids around. We almost lost the wrestling season my sophomore year due to the head coach's wanting to spend more time with his family. It is understandable. Coaching takes up a lot of time and the head coach had done it for years. Fortunately, Ted Odenthal and Coach Goodwin stepped in to guarantee the season continued. I am grateful to them for doing so or I would have ended up causing a lot of trouble in the community. Sports was a great outlet for me because it allowed me to sublimate negative energy in a positive way.

So you are right Siobhan that our complaining doesn't do much good. But these are our high school memories. I don't dwell on them as I am sure Dave P. doesn't either. We have learned from them and have employed different ways to coach/teach our players. Writing about our experiences helps to remind us how NOT to do things. So I thank the MAHS coaches in indirectly helping my players of today learn more and be better players. When I am with my team, I am reminded of my days at MAHS and how to be more effective with them.

Merry Christmas!

--Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 am 
Thinking About Getting a Life

sports in HS can definitely serve as an outlet for frustration. it also helped keep a lot of kids in school. as did drama, art and music. i know ralph and i both enjoyed our hour of band class tremendously. making music uplifted me. as did sports, it sounds like, for you, mike.
and coaching, like teaching, is subjective. you'll find people who loved a teacher/coach others hated. i was inspired by mrs. singleton whom i was fortunate enough to have for both history and english. she wasn't even a fulltime teacher, she was a permanent sub. one of my closest friends preferred other teachers for those subjects. i went and visited mrs. singleton in the states a few years after she left munich and asked her why she stopped teaching. she said she found teaching in the states depressing. the kids were so different and there was no discipline. so i guess it works both ways. i sure hope the faculty isn't setting up a board to talking about what a pain in the ass i was though. :)
so anyone who has any influence with your local school district, help keep fine arts and sports and music alive in the schools. please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:34 am 
Wind Up Merchant

jojo wrote:
so i guess it works both ways. i sure hope the faculty isn't setting up a board to talking about what a pain in the ass i was though. :)

Actually Jojo...THIS board has a Faculty and Staff section (one topic includes talking about the students who drove them up the wall) that is reserved and visible only by registered teachers/faculty. However, despite several invites, none have signed on and the only posts there are mine...welcoming them to the board. I haven't tried lately because I was a bit concerned that *I* might end up as one of THOSE students and it would totally destroy my high school self image.

I do know some teachers that troll the board though.

Post subject: Computers?!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

MrBill82 wrote:
jojo wrote:
so i guess it works both ways. i sure hope the faculty isn't setting up a board to talking about what a pain in the ass i was though. :)

Actually Jojo...THIS board has a Faculty and Staff section (one topic includes talking about the students who drove them up the wall) that is reserved and visible only by registered teachers/faculty. However, despite several invites, none have signed on and the only posts there are mine...welcoming them to the board. I haven't tried lately because I was a bit concerned that *I* might end up as one of THOSE students and it would totally destroy my high school self image.

I do know some teachers that troll the board though.

Bill, I don't think they know how to operate these new fangled devices! hahahahahaaaaa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:07 pm 
Wind Up Merchant

I'm sure that's a lot of it!

Or maybe they're just done with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:44 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

i bet that's it. i bet they've "moved on". does that mean when we finally reach the winters of our lives we'll be "done" with all this??