Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Munich Baseball
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:51 pm 
WienerWalder

Although we didn't have an official school team, many played on the Munich Baseball Team. Hooper was our catcher, Hyatt played shortshop, Rick Dail played, the Jensen brothers pitched, Danny Spargur pitched, I played third and second occasionally, Tracy Williams played outfield, Lucas Mazyck played first, I believe Dave Bice played.

Still got the jersey upstairs in my dresser.

Great fun and a fanstastic team that dominated most tournaments.

John Gatt

Post subject: No kidding?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 pm 
Poobah

John,

I gotta tell you, I've seen pictures of the Baseball field at MAHS after leaving there, but I never knew there was a team or club! Who did you guys play? I'm guessing you played in the Spring...wonder why you never got any pub in the MNEMONIC!!

I played in TX before moving to Munich, but by High School I'd pretty much stopped playing organized sports. But...since my boys (and daughter) are now active in Little Leauge, I've coached for the last several years and have really had a blast. The boys play on a summer travel team that's as much fun for me as it is them. In fact, we have our Little Leauge 'draft' next week...so when I'm not lurking on the board, I'm getting ready for the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:30 pm 
WienerWalder

The team got alot on press in the AF news. Munich played all the other bases and even had scrimmages against a few stateside teams. We shared the field with the base Air Force team, although we had priority. We also shared the field with a little semi-pro team called the Munich Tigers. Some the guys on our team would play for the Munich Tiger team later in the day. We got paid in beer, dependant on how well you played. We also played either as germans or americans depending on the required split on the field. I never spoke german, but played as a "D" player once.

I truly enjoyed the Munich baseball team and have some great memories of travelling by bus or train to all the various bases to play. Raymond and Armand Houle were on the team also.

Post subject: baseball team
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:57 pm 
F-Winger

I remember the baseball team. I think I was a "manager" or "statistician" for just about every sport MAHS had. We had a lot of fun. I still have the ball y'all autographed for me at the end of the season. If I can find it, I'll try and list the names that are on it so maybe they can be tracked down. I'm still a sports fan. My son is currently playing indoor soccer, outdoor soccer, cross country and track. My daughter is an athletic trainer for her high school.

Good to hear from you John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:30 am 
WienerWalder

Hey Sherri,

I remember you and Diana Dickerson helping out with the team. I really enjoyed the years playing baseball over there. I have seen Danny Spargur's name on another board and I'll try to get him over on this board soon.

great hearing from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:55 am 
Hey John
Glad to see someone for the old baseball team. We had a lot of fun playing baseball. I remember some of the guys Bice, Hyatt, Jensens brothers, Hooper, Houle, Wilson,Spargur, and there's more. And yes I remember Sherri at all of the home games, yelling in the stands. The good old days. And I still have my jersey #11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:03 pm 
WienerWalder

Number 8 is in the dresser. My wife can't figure out why I would want to hold on to something so silly. I really enjoyed the baseball days. My memories are probably distorted but I would contend that we dominated with the power hitters we had on the team. Pitching with the Jensen Bros, Raymond Houle, and Danny Spargur. Just alot of fun and good memories from the trips and tournaments.

John Gatt

Post subject: Munich Baseball
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:51 pm 
F-Winger

I discovered the Munich Senior baseball team the end of my Senior year Spring 1980. As I recall the team started up soon after track ended, possibly even after the end of the school year? I remember Mark Hooper, Mike Purnell, John Scott, and the Jensen brothers being on the team. With working at a German factory that summer, anticipation of heading off to college and leaving for a month long Interrail Tour of Europe I only played in one or two games. But as John Gatt says it was a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:24 pm 
Mustang!

Yes, Munich baseball was definitely a good time, and we were pretty dominant, weren't we? Just like we were in basketball. :D I work in Stuttgart at HQ EUCOM, and this year they finally made baseball an official DODDS sport.

"Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast."
- Bob Dylan