Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brunch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:54 am 
Poobah

Wow...count me among the clueless, I don't remember the brunch break, but I do remember loooooong walks down to Mr. Akimoto's art class my freshman year!!

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:44 am 
WienerWalder

Moose,

It's not about brunch break. Apparently any number of people have no recollection of that. It's about implying that we were that school to the north.

That ranks right up there with comparing Ohio State to Michigan or Florida to Florida State or Army to Navy.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

For those of you who didn't ever find or can't recall the brunch break goodies and the booth:

Picture yourself in the lobby between the cafeteria and the auditorium.
Walk toward the auditorium. Enter the smaller lobby (foyer).
(Were there sliding doors there with grooves to step over?) There was glass dividing the two different lobbies, wasn't there? From floor to ceiling.

The auditorium doors are in front of you. The restrooms are on your right. Look to your left. See the lobby wall and some structure that served as a table/counter where we'd sit on occasion or pile things upon it.

Let your eyes move to the forward corner where there is an indention as if for a window. It is a hinged board that opens and closes as needed. Behind it, accessible from outside is a little room, a hole in the wall where we stored the goods. This is where we'd sell snacks to anyone and everyone who came by. We needed to raise money for clubs or teams or choir.

No one ever told you about the snack area, because they didn't want you to know, is what I'm guessing! Hahahaha! :lol:
Either that, or you didn't have an F-wing class 2nd or 3rd period.
Or you were too busy making trouble in the main area of the school!

Pop-Tarts were the best sellers. But when the cafeteria sold doughnuts, now that was NICE! You had a choice of plain, cinammon, or powdered cake doughnuts or glazed. My favs. were the cinammon sugar sprinkled.

Isn't it funny how our Sports topic turned into food?

Christine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:13 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

chrisz80 wrote:
For those of you who didn't ever find or can't recall the brunch break goodies and the booth:

Picture yourself in the lobby between the cafeteria and the auditorium.
Walk toward the auditorium. Enter the smaller lobby (foyer).
(Were there sliding doors there with grooves to step over?) There was glass dividing the two different lobbies, wasn't there? From floor to ceiling.

The auditorium doors are in front of you. The restrooms are on your right. Look to your left. See the lobby wall and some structure that served as a table/counter where we'd sit on occasion or pile things upon it.

Let your eyes move to the forward corner where there is an indention as if for a window. It is a hinged board that opens and closes as needed. Behind it, accessible from outside is a little room, a hole in the wall where we stored the goods. This is where we'd sell snacks to anyone and everyone who came by. We needed to raise money for clubs or teams or choir.

No one ever told you about the snack area, because they didn't want you to know, is what I'm guessing! Hahahaha! :lol:
Either that, or you didn't have an F-wing class 2nd or 3rd period.
Or you were too busy making trouble in the main area of the school!

Pop-Tarts were the best sellers. But when the cafeteria sold doughnuts, now that was NICE! You had a choice of plain, cinammon, or powdered cake doughnuts or glazed. My favs. were the cinammon sugar sprinkled.

Isn't it funny how our Sports topic turned into food?

Christine

Hmmm...yeah, I remember the area described. Guess I was either late getting to class to stop or didn't have many classes on F-wing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:35 pm 
Mustang!

Not only were the pretzels superb, but who remembers the name of the pastry with powdered sugar and a honey or maybe it was a lemon filling? Those were the bomb. Thanks to all those that buttered the pretzels, I didn't even give it a thought that someone actually did that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:18 pm 
Blue Mud

Four words, Chris: Pop Tarts and milk.

Behold, the breakfast of champions!

Fighting the Global War on Terror until 5 p.m. everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:44 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

chris,
i do remember the cheesy pastries and juice they sold in the cafeteria. i think they gave up when the snack shop offered so much more and had students selling it. but i remember it, so it was still there after '77.
chris R,
i agree about throwing out the A word all willy-nilly. Augsburg! as if!! didn't we just beat them in everything?? well except maybe that one b-ball tourney...
mr. bill,
i think you were too busy watching curves to notice that it was snack time. its the only explanation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:46 pm 

deb--i think the word you're looking for, pastry wise, is: krapfen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:29 am 
Wind Up Merchant

jojo wrote:
mr. bill,
i think you were too busy watching curves to notice that it was snack time. its the only explanation...

It's just so damn peculiar. I know exactly the place Chris is describing. I lived on the economy and commissary food was unavailable...I would have KILLED for a PopTart. Other interests aside...i'm very pro-snack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:11 pm 

So: you know "exactly the place chris is describing", you would have "killed for a pop tart", and you are "very pro snack".
hence: i stick with my original statement. it must have been a hell of a something to be so entirely distracting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:08 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

ChrisReinman84 wrote:
I move that Moose be voted off the forum for even mentioning the A-word.

It's one thing to question brunch break, but suggesting that we are talking about another school, especially that one, should be grounds for expulsion.

Chris
[/quote]

Augsburg, Augusburg, Augsburg, Ansbach, Ansbach, Ansbach! :P

Post subject: The captains
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 am 
Perlurker

had to get to school early on Wednesdays to cut and butter the pretzels. We (the girl's soccer team) sold them for a dollar each. That's how we had the money for new jerseys when we went to European Championships. Fritz ist am besten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:34 pm 

tami,
the girls soccer team was a munich powerhouse, right up to the end, it sounds like.
if you have one, post a pic of you all in your new jerseys. this old-timer would love to see it.
jojo