Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: butter bretzen and wurst/soccer team
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:26 pm 
WienerWalder

Who could forget the famous "Butter Bretzen" once a week and the famous Mr Manuel wurst machine, now that was a fun time! All of the other things we sold too. Never a dull moment with the soccer team. :lol:

Susie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:20 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

i never had to butter those things, except the one time lynda talked me into helping her do it at 7 in the am, but i sure ate enough of them. best snack MAHS ever offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:22 pm 
Dayton Deserter

This just reminded me of brunch break and the stuff they used to sell in that little spot down by the auditorium. I remember Ms. Bruzas would have a cow if you ate Pop-Tarts in her class - so of course, everyone did! :lol:

I remember thinking how weird it was when I first got to MAHS that we had a snack break in the middle of the morning!

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:42 pm 

patty, i worked in that little snack shop. george (band teach.) ran it, and the proceeds, some of them, went to the music dept, so we were recruited to work there. somehow i always got roped in by lynda. when she agreed to work there, it meant i did too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am 
WienerWalder

Ah yes, brunch break. The time when you found out how many friends you had (if you had food).

I remember Liz Johnson's favorite saying in Mr. Becker's third period chemistry class was "Generosity is the spice of life."

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 am 
WienerWalder

Susie,

Don't forget working the wurst machine at the football games as a junior.

I remember going from damned near losing an arm to frostbite from fishing cokes out of a huge trash can full of ice to almost cooking the same arm on the wurst machine.

All so we could raise enough money to have prom...

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:19 pm 

thanks for that reminder, chris. i worked that stand at the football game one time as well. but just the once. i can't remember why now. mostly i was away on volleyball trips. i wonder what year that was??
as for liz j.--she was generous, so she practiced what she preached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:31 pm 
WienerWalder

Jojo,

I'm sure I mooched as much or more from Liz as she did from me.

For some reason, chemistry class keeps coming to mind when thinking about brunch break. We talked about bringing eggs in and frying them up over the bunsen burners, but we never actually did it.

The next year, in physics class, we had a surprise birthday party for Mr. Coulter. We had no idea when his birthday was, so we just picked a day when we know we'd be doing a lab and everyone brought some party food. Unfortunately, Mr. Coulter picked that day to be sick. The student teacher and the sub had no idea what to do about it, so they let us go ahead and have the party.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

pattydawson wrote:
This just reminded me of brunch break and the stuff they used to sell in that little spot down by the auditorium. I remember Ms. Bruzas would have a cow if you ate Pop-Tarts in her class - so of course, everyone did! :lol:

I remember thinking how weird it was when I first got to MAHS that we had a snack break in the middle of the morning!

Patty

I think I am in the wrong DoDDs high school board. I don't remember any brunch break at all. Is this the Augsburg board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:13 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Moose

Thank god you spoke up...I don't remember a snack break at all either...i remember some guys in 3rd period chemistry bringing in bread and nutella for brotzeit every now and then, and i thought that was pretty cool, but I have no recollection of a snack break during the school day at all.

When was it? What was I doing? I liked snacks. I still do. Sounds like something I would have gotten behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:16 am 
Dayton Deserter

Are you kidding? We had periods 1 and 2, then a 20 minute brunch break, then periods 3 and 4, then lunch, then periods 5 and 6. Easiest HS schedule I've ever seen.

I think the reason for brunch break was for all those kids who had to get up at the crack of dawn to get on the bus in Garmisch, BT and BA and didn't have time to eat breakfast. That's how it was explained to me, anyhow.

Patty

Post subject: brunch break
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:16 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

Since I only ever went to one school from 7th - 12th grades, all I ever knew was the daily schedule as you describe it above, Patty! It made so much sense! Now that my kids are in middle and high school, I realize how relaxed our days were compared to theirs... First of all, the 2 classes/break; 2 classes/break rhythm was super! We'd have time to meet up with friends after second or to go to the snack booth in the auditorium lobby to either sell items or to buy items or to mooch them....!

Secondly, when we had class changes, it was a piece of cake compared to the gazillions of kids swimming in the halls at our local schools! You really have to be aggrssive to get to class! Especially to get there on time@ At times you could use some armor to crash on through! Or football pads, or something! They have one way direction hallways, and monitors moving traffic along. Reminds me of cowboys herding cattle at times... I don't remember having that feeling in the halls of MHS. And were we ever spoiled with our huge lockers? You could stack several coats, an instrument, gym bag, a person in ours.... I see my kids' lockers and wonder if they can even fit a book or two inside! No wonder they carry all their gear in a backpack all day!

Brunch break was definitely cool! Mr. Bill and Moose, what do you guys remember doing before 3rd period? Don't you recall a longer than usual lapse of time between classes, or find yourself in the lobby milling about before 3rd?

I remember selling Pop-Tarts there to raise money for a choir field trip to Paris our junior year and again our senior year to raise money for our trip to Vicenza. When in Mr. Sanders World History Class as a Freshman, we went to Florence. I think we held a raffle to raise money for that, but I'm a little fuzzy on whether we got to use the snacks booth to sell goodies for our trip.

There waas a time when the cafeteria sold orange juice, milk, doughnuts and pastries during brunch break! I can't remember when or if this was
something they quit doing and that's how the snack booth evolved, or what... Anyone? I think that the doughnut and drink sales continued at least til '77, but if longer, I am unsure....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:32 am 
Wind Up Merchant

I guess I just got used to it...it does seem like getting to third was never a problem...

I do remember the "Activities Period" the added to the lunch period which i thought was a great idea...essentially doubled the lunch or doubled the time you had for clubs or whatnot...i remember being struck by that when I got there in 79. My stateside school was rush rush rush.

But, a snack booth? Where was this thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:55 am 
WienerWalder

I move that Moose be voted off the forum for even mentioning the A-word.

It's one thing to question brunch break, but suggesting that we are talking about another school, especially that one, should be grounds for expulsion.

Chris[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:50 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

ChrisReinman84 wrote:
I move that Moose be voted off the forum for even mentioning the A-word.

It's one thing to question brunch break, but suggesting that we are talking about another school, especially that one, should be grounds for expulsion.

Chris
[/quote]

Dude, whatever! :twisted: I didn't have any money back in those days so I guess that is why I never participated in "brunch break." Odd.