Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wrestling stories or wrestling-related stories--any year
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:30 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Ok, I remember hearing of the great Matt Jochem when I arrived. Matt actually came out for a practice and it was like wrestling a titan. Matt is very tall and beefy. I might as well had been trying to take down a Redwood!

I sucked my sophomore year. But it was better than my freshman year at the Arizona high school. I lost every match but I went from getting pinned in fifteen seconds my first high school match to losing by points at the end of my freshman year so there was improvement. My sophomore year scored my first win at Karlsruhe and then again at a home meet. Yeah, two wins for the season. My junior year was my best. 11-2 record. Senior year? Blah. So it goes. I did some volunteer coaching right after high school and it was a rewarding experience. I recently got out on the mat at a local high school to help out and realize that I am not as young as I once was. Short story, I hurt myself wrestling with the assistant coach but have now recovered. Where is my walker?! Damn kids. j/k I think I am getting older now as I call the cops on troublemaking teens around the neighborhood.

Post subject: '82-'83 wrestling team
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:07 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Ok, this was one strange year. Coach Dominick had given up the team to a guy who was assisting on his free days for a reason I don't remember. Maybe Coach D. needed a break. I can see how monotonous the same thing could be year after year. So, our assistant coach became our head coach. The unintended new coach, Coach Odenthal, was a young NCO who was questionable in his maturity but knew how to keep us in line. I respect Coach Odenthal immensely as our program could have gone south if he hadn't taken the reins. He kept us in great shape. From the 98 pounder to the heavyweight, we were in great shape. I can't remember much in the way of moves taught but I might have been a little clueless then too still trying to get my legs.

I don't recall how our season went either but it was really an individual sport anyways. I still remember what Coach Odenthal told us before a match: "Men, go home tonight, don't shower in the morning, don't put on deodorant, don't brush your teeth and eat garlic!" He wanted our opponents to have the worst experience around us. Odenthal would even show up in a three-piece suit, an eye patch (he didn't need it), and an enormous pinch of chewing tobacco in his lip. He was rather menacing-looking! The following season Coach D. re-assumed the reins much to our disapproval in all honesty. We had grown fond of Coach Odenthal. I don't believe he was allowed to work out with us either.

I achieved my first win under Coach Odenthal's tutelage so I think well of him when he is mentioned. I had some contact with him when I began working in Congress and then lost touch with him. Haven't seen him or heard of him since. Anyone heard from him? I know Kevin "Spaghetti Legs" Williams hung out with him in Munich.

Post subject: Happy Ending Story time! Wrestling mgrs and true love!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:25 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Here we go kiddies, it is time for a happy-ending story! Our wrestling managers were women who actually managed our team keeping the mats clean prior to our practices, ordering supplies as needed, keeping score and time at meets, and generally kept our team humming along. If we didn't say it enough, thank you, thank you and thank you! I know I might have behaved worse if a lady wasn't present so their presence moderated me a bit. I looked fondly on them as not only our managers but almost as though they were my sisters. I still E-mail on occasion one of our managers, Shannon Webb. I think she might have enjoyed driving Kevin W. nutty donning the black leather pants! :shock:

Ok, ok, happy ending time: Sylvia Wendelken and Kristin Kelly were our managers in the '84 season. Sylvia eventually married one of our wrestlers, David Penrod. There you go! Happy ending! I always wondered why Sylvia was eyeing David! hahahahahahaaaa....guess she liked those things they made us wear for matches! hahahahaaaa.....ok, ok, I am finishing this post before David jumps on a plane and beats me up into next week! :twisted:

Post subject: I too cleaned those mats!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:06 pm 
WienerWalder

Hey Moose,

I too cleaned those mats! But I did it because you couldn't beat the ratio of guys to girls :wink: Just kidding! I was manager in 82 but I can't remember if I still did it in 83.
[
Quote:
"Men, go home tonight, don't shower in the morning, don't put on deodorant, don't brush your teeth and eat garlic!" He wanted our opponents to have the worst experience around us. Odenthal would even show up in a three-piece suit, an eye patch (he didn't need it), and an enormous pinch of chewing tobacco in his lip.

I certainly remember Coach Odenthal so that must mean I managed in 83. I didn't remember the eye patch until you mentioned it. I did remember that he was a little strange. That must have been what I was thinking about. Did you do the no shower, deodorant, garlic thing? I'm thinking I would have remembered a pretty long stinky bus ride.

I will send Patty some wrestling bus pics for the reunion slide show.[/quote]

Post subject: Re: I too cleaned those mats!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:19 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Mary84 wrote:
Hey Moose,

I too cleaned those mats! But I did it because you couldn't beat the ratio of guys to girls :wink: Just kidding! I was manager in 82 but I can't remember if I still did it in 83.
[
Quote:
"Men, go home tonight, don't shower in the morning, don't put on deodorant, don't brush your teeth and eat garlic!" He wanted our opponents to have the worst experience around us. Odenthal would even show up in a three-piece suit, an eye patch (he didn't need it), and an enormous pinch of chewing tobacco in his lip.

I certainly remember Coach Odenthal so that must mean I managed in 83. I didn't remember the eye patch until you mentioned it. I did remember that he was a little strange. That must have been what I was thinking about. Did you do the no shower, deodorant, garlic thing? I'm thinking I would have remembered a pretty long stinky bus ride.

I will send Patty some wrestling bus pics for the reunion slide show.
[/quote]

Ha! I see you in the yearbook wrestling team photo. You are so little! hahaha...I did everything except the garlic. Didn't know where to find it or I would have. I told the wrestlers I coached the same thing! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:57 pm 
F-Winger

Hey Mike,

I remember managing the wrestling team with Sylvia. The guys on the team called us Spic 'N Span. We always made sure we went to the bathroom before we got on the bus because those who used the bathroom on the bus got held in there for a while. Someone would hold the door shut so you couldn't get out. That wouldn't have been you would it????
I remember guys getting on the stage in the auditorium before practice started, swinging on the curtains and jumping on to the mats down on the floor.
I can remember guys jogging in the isle on the bus to make weight when we got to meet. I remember Wendell Weaver and Wayne Lyles also being on the team.
As Mary said the ratio of guys to girls was good. That was in our favor. :D

Kris Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:11 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Kris Kelly 84 wrote:
Hey Mike,

I remember managing the wrestling team with Sylvia. The guys on the team called us Spic 'N Span. We always made sure we went to the bathroom before we got on the bus because those who used the bathroom on the bus got held in there for a while. Someone would hold the door shut so you couldn't get out. That wouldn't have been you would it????
I remember guys getting on the stage in the auditorium before practice started, swinging on the curtains and jumping on to the mats down on the floor.
I can remember guys jogging in the isle on the bus to make weight when we got to meet. I remember Wendell Weaver and Wayne Lyles also being on the team.
As Mary said the ratio of guys to girls was good. That was in our favor. :D

Kris Kelly

Hey Kris, great to hear from you! You and Sylvia kept us in line I think. Noooo, I never held the door closed. I was the nice one, remember? It was probably Houdashelt. I don't remember guys running up and down the aisle. I might have been too busy eating! hahahahahaaa Not having to make weight was great. I did that my freshman year and it was tough every week! You know what I am talking about...you saw it first hand what those guys went through. And I do remember that nickname though I never used it. What is up with you and your brother?