Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Football stories or football-related stories--any year
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:52 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

I am from the Class of '85 and joined MAHS my sophomore year. Yeah, I was glad Dave Bice was on our side sorta. Hahahahaaaa, he did his job in terrorizing us. I was afraid of Dave as a sophomore. He was a very tough LB as I recall. I vaguely recall a rough demeanor too. There weren't many I was worried about but Bice hit hard! Tracy Wilson, the Center. was formidable too but was a nice guy off the field.

Post subject: Hardest hitters in '82 season
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Ok, here is my list of the hardest hitters I came across in '82:

Dave Bice. 'nuff said.

Tracy Wilson. Solid and powerful.

David Penrod. Fast, agile and loved to hit.

Darren Berry. There are only two hits I remember at MAHS or from anyone else from the schools we played that rocked my socks. I tackled Darren one time as he barreled through the line and he rung my bell hard. I saw a patch of maroon after hitting him. Yes, I took him down but man that guy was a solid runner!

Can't forget Sonny Makalena. Sonny is a great guy, tough and strong back in school. I don't remember enjoying going against him either! :shock: I can't recall a good story though.

Last edited by Moose85 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Hardest hitters in '83 season
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:21 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Ok, here is my opinion of the hardest hitters I came across my Junior year:

[NOTE: Sorry to those guys on my neverending tardiness. I was late getting to the photo and they took the photo without me. Ooooops!]

Steve Berry. Ask Steve what the "L" means for his middle name. Steve was a solid hitter like his brother. He gave me some solid hits that made me clench my mouthpiece a bit harder than I should have. Things probably changed as we both matured and became bigger and stronger. Steve was a powerhouse as a fullback. Remember the mudcat smash? I was playing Center after Tracy left and Steve was slotted to run between me and the guard. Well, things got bottled up as it goes and in runs Steve right into my back! Ouch! We learned to open those holes quickly! hahahahahaaaa

Another story on Steve. As Center, I had to snap to the QB during practice with the FB and TB getting hand-offs from the QB for practice. At one point, I didn't need to snap anymore but I couldn't go join the rest of the linemen so I stood with a stuffed bag we used for hitting practice. Bored standing there while our QB tried to figure out how to hand-off, I stopped giving little pushes of the bag to the runners as they received the hand-off. I started really knocking it into them. It was fun. I hit Steve once with a blow hard enough to knock him off his running track. NOW, the next time I tried that with Steve he came in expecting it and returned a solid blow. Oh well, tried to keep myself entertained.

David Penrod. Seems to be a pattern here. Dave was so fast. I was about as hungry for tackles as Dave but he was faster and was an LB. I think there might be a problem if your lineman is getting more tackles than your LBs anyways. Dave was a maniac on the field and I am sure he would endorse my description. It used to tick me off to no end when after hitting the line and fighting my way to the ball carrier, Penrod would already be there setting the table mats, putting out the napkins, silverware and declaring lunch was served. Arrrrrrrggggghhhhh! He talked good smack too. Dave? Did you talk smack to the other team too during the game? Goodwin was too clueless to advise us on anything in my opinion.

That is all I can recall now. Anyone I missed? The linemen are automatically included in every hard hitters lists! We did the grunt work and everyone else took credit! That is why I loved D-line.

Post subject: Hardest hitters in '84 season
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:02 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Ok, my senior year. There is one sophomore that season that rung my bell hard! He was an unlikely candidate to deliver it but it goes to show what mass times velocity can do.

Jerry Caldwell. We were in kickoff receiving team practice and Jerry was on the kickoff. Jerry was a receiver as I recall and came ripping down the field at full speed. As the front guy on the kickoff, I had to make initial contact with the suicide squad (kickoff team) and then get into our "wall." Jerry hit me at full speed when I was basically stationary awaiting the hit. I felt what seemed to be an electrical shock from my head down to my feet. I turned and was holding my head. He popped me good and I let him know he rung the bell too. He liked that! He and other sophomores proudly declared that Jerry had rung Moose's bell. I couldn't deny it. It was a good hit. What the heck, it was a morale booster and I was a team captain.

Steve Berry. Already described above.

Darst. Can't remember his first name. Steve Darst? No, Rob Darst. Just checked the yearbook. He was a tough player. His dad was a chaplain. He should have taken the noseguard spot from me because he was fast, agile and hit hard. But, politics came into play because I made a deal with Goodwin my junior year. Basically, I told Goodwin I'd play Center only if I could play D-line as well. O-line by itself was boring by itself. No glory at all. So there was no way Darst would have taken noseguard unless I got hurt. I don't remember if Goodwin put him at Dtackle. He should have but Goodwin wasn't the best judge of talent in my opinon. Sorry folks, I compare Goodwin to the football powerhouse coaches and there is no comparison. I know he did what he could with what he had but there was no future preparation at all. I had to convince him to have one Spring practice which I missed because I had detention. Ooooops! Goodwin did no timing of 40 yard dashes, gave no Summer training regimens, nothing. Just some dumb scrimmage that told him nothing. I hope to coach football one day and my boys will be well trained and hopefully will have a high morale.

I think by my senior year, I had achieved Dave Bice's strength and on-the-field demeanor. I trained year round and not much could hit me too hard. Not being cocky. It was a fact. I advised some players on how to train but they didn't last long doing it. I came from a football powerhouse in Arizona who started training their freshman players before school even started. We learned how to lift weights and do cardio. Wish I could lift like that still.

Ok, not a hard hitter story but interesting nonetheless. Derek Turqueza. We used to line up for hitting drills in two lines. We dropped some hitting dummies along the ground to create four pockets. Receivers and backs were on one side and linemen were on the other. One receiver and one lineman would go against each other down the line and then the lineman would try to tackle the back at the last hole. The other way was the back would pick a hole and the lineman would follow and try to catch/tackle him. Well, as you can imagine, even football players can count out who was in front of them and who they were going up against. Derek wasn't a large player. I dare say he might have been one of the smallest and it was his first year coming out for football. I hung out with Derek and his Cafe Henry crew so I didn't want to go against him for fear of hurting him. Consequently, I put some guy in front of me so I didn't have to hit with him. I give the chutzpah or moxie award to Derek. He wouldn't have it. He wanted to have a go. I shivered with anxiety that JoJo would hurt me if I hurt her then bf. :lol: But the table was set and on came the main course. Derek and I hit down the line and he tackled me. I congratulated him for taking on a senior! I am sure it was a confidence booster for him.

Post subject: Gina Stapleton
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:33 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

What happened to our '82 Homecoming Queen Gina Stapleton? Wow was she hawt!

Post subject: Tracy Williams
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:53 pm 
WienerWalder

I saw Tracy Williams out in Yuma AZ in a grocery store about 10 years ago. He was in the Marine Corps or recently out and was living out there with his wife and kids. I walked by him and recognized him immediately.

Post subject: Re: Tracy Williams
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:37 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

John82 wrote:
I saw Tracy Williams out in Yuma AZ in a grocery store about 10 years ago. He was in the Marine Corps or recently out and was living out there with his wife and kids. I walked by him and recognized him immediately.

Tracy Williams or Wilson? Big guy in high school, blonde hair?

Post subject: Re: Gina Stapleton
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:46 am 
Wind Up Merchant

Moose85 wrote:
What happened to our '82 Homecoming Queen Gina Stapleton?

She joined the board last month and even posted a note about Ms. Hanson over on the "in memoriam" thread. So she's around.

Post subject: Re: Gina Stapleton
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:34 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

MrBill82 wrote:
Moose85 wrote:
What happened to our '82 Homecoming Queen Gina Stapleton?

She joined the board last month and even posted a note about Ms. Hanson over on the "in memoriam" thread. So she's around.

Thanks, I noticed her on the memberlist and sent her a message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:11 pm 
WienerWalder

Tracey Wilson.

My bad, don't know where the Williams came from.

Post subject: Run DMC!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:51 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Y'all remember the rap video we did at the Bavarian studios for Run DMC? "Its like that, and that's the way it is, hrooooomph!" The inner city kids I mentored through a school program always got a kick out of hearing that I was in a rap video.

Coach Goodwin told us we would be having a practice but it turned out we were used in the backdrop. I remember some of the guys like Dan LeMay were told to act like they were trying to crawl over the baseball backdrop cage they have behind the turntable guy. Run DMC were doing their thing up front. I was paired off with David Clark and they told us to just hit each other. I was ok with that until Dave started getting rough and we escalated to an all out war with each other! :twisted: Kids! They stopped shooting at one point and Dave and I were still hitting each other. One of the guys had to tell us to knock it off. I still like that song. Unfortunately, it never transferred to a career in the entertainment field. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:45 pm 
WienerWalder

Where's Tracy Wilson?? If you know, please email me his address. He was a nice guy. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 pm 
Senior Hall Monitor

Hey Guys have some Football pics up at
http://mahsreunion.myevent.com .
Just go to the Photo Album section and while your there sign guestbook.
And also if you would sign our classmate page.

Billy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:41 am 
Senior Hall Monitor

its not a story but pics of MAHS Mustangs
http://mahsreunion.myevent.com/3/gallery.htm
And if you have anymore pics send them to me and I will add them..

Billy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 pm 
Blue Mud

My favorite football memory was the last game of the '82 (also my last game for the Mustangs) against Augsburg; we were behind by three scores with less than two minutes left in the game. We were down to our third string QB (can picture him, but can't remember his name). We came back and scored twice and recovered two onside kicks and scored again to win the game.

JMH