Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: volleyball anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:27 pm 
Thinking About Getting a Life

the MAHS vball team dominated the league all the years that i played (82-85) and many before and probably many after. (shelley, you and theresa and stacy must have done some fine stuff your senior year?) we had great superstars like kristin W and stacy sanford, but also just damn fine players and good sports. and we won and won and won. and we had excellent support from the bench and our managers (mary and shannon). let's not forget some of the best coaching, like mr. wilson who totally came to the rescue when our other coach, (god knows what his name was), took off about 3 weeks into the season and left us stranded. anyone else remember the pain and joy of those saturday morning bus rides? i have pics and will be sending them in a few weeks when i get my act together.
jojo(85)

Post subject: v-ball
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:06 am 
WienerWalder

Hi Jojo! Glad to see you found this website. Read your comments about v-ball. My dad really enjoyed coaching the team that year. He would be happy to hear someone appreciated him! I'm looking forward to seeing those old pictures! Don't forget about the reunion this spring. Being in New York, your too close not to come! Kristin Wilson Morris

Post subject: vball girls
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:29 pm 

hey kristin
i saw pics a while ago of your reunion a few years back. you guys all look so good! was it something in the water?
yes, am definitely planning to go to the reunion. you are as well, right? it'll be great to see you again. time has stood still in my mind as far as HS goes and i really need to have adult faces to put to my old friends so i'm not the only one who grew up. munich was a bit like a never-never land...
your dad was an excellent coach. the right combo of short-tempered and patient. and he pushed us to win. but man, was he hard on you sometimes! i count myself lucky to have been a part of those two years. luckier than those who came after you guys left. but then, everyone likes their own perspective best. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:44 pm 
WienerWalder

Jojo! I talked to my dad yesterday and told him to get on the website. He remembers you! He told me to tell you that he hopes you are doing well and to thank you for the nice comments you had said about him.
How long have you been living in New York?

Post subject: new york
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 pm 

hey kristin
have been in nyc for about 2 years. i think kathy c. is there, right?
i saw that you're planning to attend the reunion. so am i. am looking forward to seeing you.
i'm glad your dad remembers me. that's nice.

Post subject: Mr. Wilson What a coach!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:16 pm 
Mustang!

Hey JoJo
Shelly here and I have to agree with you on Mr. Wilson. He was a great coach and very hard on everyone too which I know made us all better players. I remember my freshman year wanting to quit but my dad never would let me ( I guess because he and Mr. Wilson were good friends) and I am so glad. I learned so much from that man. So what about Coach Armbruster.. she was good too I thought. I know I gave her a hard time sometimes, just goofing off like normal for me. But we did have some great times.. I wish I could attend the reunion but I can't due to my coaching yes I coach Special Olympics in my town and we have a big track meet that weekend. I know all of you will have a great time. I am giving Lauri a disk with some old pictures of the good ole days.

Post subject: Re: Mr. Wilson What a coach!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:22 pm 
Dayton Deserter

Shelly86 wrote:
I am giving Lauri a disk with some old pictures of the good ole days.

Shelly - any chance you could get me some of those photos too? I'm putting together a slide show for the reunion and would love to have as many as possible to include. Mine are pretty heavily class of 82-83.

Patty
Class of 82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:39 pm 

hey shelly!
am posting some pics of us playing ball, and one of the jv your freshman year, so check back for those in a week or so.
glad you didn't ever quit, you were a good player with a good attitude and a fun team-mate.
and i think its excellent that you're a coach yourself. lucky for those kids that they have you. i am sorry that you won't make the reunion, but you're doing a far more important thing. maybe next year??
keep posting too, shelly. its great to be in touch again.
ps: any sign of theresa?

Post subject: Theresa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:48 am 
Mustang!

Yes I see Theresa every other year or so. She lives in Jacksonville, FL and her parents still live here in Texas. So when she comes to visit them I normally get to see her. She has 2 precious children, Jared and Maria. Anyway I am glad to get back in touch with some old friends as well. I need to try to post some pics as well.. I have some now ones of my bro and the Headrich boys. Anyway you keep posting too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:27 pm 

shelly, its a deal. you and i will keep posting. and YES, send in a "now" pic of you. would love to see your happy smile again.
say hello to Theresa when next you see her and tell her i still grin when i think of the "blue moon". (i wonder if she remembers that?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:09 pm 
Mustang!

Hey, JoJo..did Mrs. Armbruster coach after 84? Great memories during volleyball. 84 Tourney in AFCENT, Holland..v-ball camp in Bonn with you. I've been doing a lot of reminiscing lately. I guess this site does that to you.

Post subject: 1986
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:33 pm 
Poobah

Pardon the interruption...but I just happen to be thumbing through an '86 MNEMONIC reproduction and see that Mrs. Armbruster is in the volleyball pic for that year, at least.

OK...I'm leaving now. :)

Post subject: Not the manager............
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:41 pm 
WienerWalder

Hi JoJo,
I couldn't believe you said this..... :o

Quote:
we had excellent support from the bench and our managers (mary and shannon)

I actually lettered in volleyball. I played on the varsity team my sophomore year and then played part of my junior year but I hurt my right hand and didn't finish the year. That's the year I think the team won the whole thing.

My dad coached volleyball in 79 with Mr. Tosti when Stacey played. My sister Theresa was on the team too. They had a great team even after the tragedy that took Robin's life. I can't remember volleyball if he coached any years after that. I know he coached boys JV basketball too.
He loved to coach.

Post subject: Coach Gatt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:52 pm 
Poobah

Mary...I see you're in "Red" and will see you in D.C. Are your dad and sisters planning to attend? John and I have been exchanging emails and I know he may have a conflict...but if we need to rent a bus for the Gatt clan...we can make that happen. :)

Tony

Post subject: i goofed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:40 pm 

Mary--about two days after i wrote that, i remembered that you not only played but that you were one of the people who took the time to help me become a better player my first year. and the reason i gave you credit for managing us is because my sophmore year, you were there, every day, but not in uniform because you were hurt. but it takes a bit of reminiscing to remember the details. (like deb said...) i didn't figure anyone was really even going to check this thread. took a while for the interest to be roused. otherwise i would have written my retraction sooner. but why in the world weren't you in the team pic your junior year? you should have been. or do you have a team pic i don't have? if so, get it up here!