Munich American High School

Please Make Your Grad Year Part of Your Log-In Name! Example: "Fred81"
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MAHS Track & Field
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:00 am 
I remember being a part of the 400 X 100m relay team in 85. Which also included Wendell Weaver, John Kendal, Phil Santos. Since MAHS didn’t have a track to practice on, the only time we saw a track was at the meet. If you ask me, we did our best running at the beginning of the season. You would have thought we would have gotten better as the season wore on. But the closer we got Regionals the more mistakes we made. Like the time I ran away from Phil Santos, during a baton exchange, I was nervous and my timing was off by a second or two. You should have heard an out of breath Phil struggling to scream for me to stop. We made so many mistakes, it’s amazing that we made to Finals. Where we came in dead last when John Kendel, who was running with a pulled hamstring, began to fall 10 feet from his hand-off with Phil Santos. Then while falling, in what can only be described as an act of pure desperation, John threw the baton to Phil. Phil just stood there completely astonished, as he watched the baton hit ground in front of him. He couldn’t pick it up, as the rules wouldn’t allow it. So John had to get up off the ground, and hop on his good leg, pick up the baton and give it to Phil. It was a disaster. Up until that point we were winning the race. By the time the baton got to the anchor, the race was long over! The second to last runner beat us beat by a good hundred yards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:30 pm 
WienerWalder

Speaking of Wendel Weaver...

I seem to recall that Wendell ran the first leg of the 4 X 100 too. I also remember how Tommy Lovato used to marvel at Wendell’s running form.

Wendell truly looked like a world class sprinter! I’ve never seen anyone at MAHS run with as much style and grace as Wendell did.

I said all that, to say this: There was this ONE TIME… when Wendell didn’t look so good.

I want leave Wendell a little room to come back any correct errors I may have inadvertently added with retelling of this little memory.

The way “I” heard it… cause I missed it! Wendell was in the middle of his pre-race routine. He was warming up just prior to getting into the blocks for a race. Since it was a little cold, he was still wearing his warm-ups. Completely focused on the race ahead, Wendell was clearly in the zone. Then, at the last minute he strips off his warm up jacket and pants and gets straight into blocks.

“I thought heard people laughing,” Wendell said later, “But I didn’t think they were laughing at me.”

Then a guy in lane next to him, gets his attention and points: it was then, that Wendell realized that he was in the starting blocks in his underwear.

“I had get out of blocks, walk to the sideline, find my warm up pants and put my shorts on, in front of everyone…”

Now every time I see Michael Jordan in a Hanes commercial, I think of how poor Wendell started the trend, only he was modeling for Fruit of the Loom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:46 pm 
WienerWalder

I know who you are now.....

either abraham johnson or ferrel jones.... can't be abraham since he was younger than me.

..... and I thought I ran the anchor leg in the 4x100!! I ran the 3rd leg in the 4x200.... and can't remember what I ran in sprint medley.

Wendell had nice strides... but I was still faster than he was (although he would tell you differently).... of course I couldn't run fast enough to save my life these days.

phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:40 pm 
WienerWalder

Good Guess Phil, but... you've got the wrong guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:47 pm 
WienerWalder

okay anonymous.... there weren't too many of us that could run fast on track and be on the sprint relay teams..... and I remember everyone. I think I confused your name, but after some research....I DO KNOW WHO YOU ARE. I won't let the cat out of the bag, but let's just say that you have a sister who's initials are S.R. RIGHT???!!!

phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:28 pm 
WienerWalder

what's a matter ANON.... cat got your tongue??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:33 pm 
WienerWalder

I'm sorry Phillycheese... I replyed by sending you a pm back in August. I just checked and I can see that you never read it.

In a nutshell my response: Keep on guessing. I never said I ran track!!! I said: I remember... I merely relayed a story that I "may" have overheard Wendel mention once.... *laughing*

I've got a good memory too... but not everything I've recalled happen to me...

If I can figure out who you are... I bet I can come up with a couple of memories that involve you too!

Anonymous85